1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd Markings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sakura, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Sakura

Sakura Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2007
    Cantonment, Florida
    We've got four baby ducks, about a week old. Cutest things I've ever owned!
    But we can't seem to find out what breed two of them are. One is primarily black, with a yellow chest, the yellow coming up to its neck and cheeks. It has a black beak. We thought they were Mallards, but they have black eye-stripes, and ours don't. They other one has the same markings, only with more yellow on it's chest and face. It has pink-and-black feet, and a pink beak. We think they may be Moscoveys, because they can look like anythings as chicks. Yes, I know that they're the only ones that will kill a snake, and they eat more grass, AND they say they're some of the best ducks you can find, but they're kind of ugly. At least the drakes are, anyway.
    We've also got another ducky we don't know about. It is mostly yellow, with some darker colors around its face. But it has an afro (his name's Top-Knot), and he stands up so straight he looks like a runner-duck crossed with a Pekin with an afro! The other one's just yellow, and VERY big compared to the other ones.
    I'll upload some pics soon.

See 'ya!

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Black, with a yellow chest - sounds like a black swedish

Muscovies often have spots on the tops of their heads, but not all the time

Afro - crested

Not sure about the others w/o pics

Hope I helped [​IMG]

3. Sakura

Feb 16, 2007
    Cantonment, Florida
    Black Swedish... no, I don't think so. We looked at pics of them, and they didn't really look like our ducks. We have to get the film developed, then I'll show you.

Thanks, you really did help!

4. Mike_Winters

Mike_Winters Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    mallard or grey call crossed with a black swedish

5. Sakura

Feb 16, 2007
    Cantonment, Florida
    Ooh, that's an odd mix. Of course, we once said our little Kupo (we renamed the one with the afro) was a cross between a Pomeranian and a Runner Duck. He's just a crested, though. But he does stand really tall.

See 'ya!

6. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Oh I am sure I have a crested runner to... all my ducks are runners so it must be [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive posted a topic, to see if my thinking is correct [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by