Odd one out??

Quackers08

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2012
Cornwall, England
I brought 4 ducklings a couple of weeks ago and my bf who's family raise many chickens and know a lot about all sorts of poultry say they were about 5 weeks old so now im gonna guess that they're roughly 8 weeks old. One of the ducklings is a bit odd looking, i think it may be a bibbed call of some sort but it doesn't seem to be progressing as much as the others. One was killed but even before that it had feathers coming and was looking really good. The one i'm worried about is a lot smaller and isn't much bigger than when i got it a few weeks ago and also the other 2 i have left and they both almost have all of their feathers.

I'm pretty new to this so was wondering if anyone with experience breeding bibbed calls could give me any help and let me know if their ducklings were like this. It also has a lot of blue on its skin on its head - no idea what it is, was like it when i got it - and not much fur or feathers on its head.

Ant advice is much appreciated, I'm just really worried about the little one. I thought giving it time would help but it just hasnt.

These are some pictures for size comparison.

Above is the duckling i'm worried about and below is one of its brothers or sisters. There is a pretty noticible size difference.

These are some pictures for size comparison.

Above is the duckling i'm worried about and below is one of its brothers or sisters. There is a pretty noticible size difference.
I don't have experience in calls but are you sure it's been allowed to eat? watch and make sure, then if thats not the case maybe give them all some poultry vitamins, this may give the least one something it maybe missing in nutrients. Poultry Nutri Drench or Avia Charge 2000 are 2 good ones. To be that far behind it's sibs makes me think it's not getting proper nutrients happens in some ducklings and they need an extra bit of help, also a niacin tab dissolved in their water would be benificial or Brewers yeast sprinkled on top of their. feed.

can you get a better picture of the duckling is question?
maybe next to the others on the ground.

could it be that he is younger? he looks to be at the same stage my 4-5 week olds are at
and the other looks to be about 9 weeks old.

and he doesnt look like a bibbed.
looks like a blue magpie

blue bibbed at 4 weeks old

blue magpie at 4 wks

same ducklings at 7 weeks old

everytime i feed them i see him/her eating so i dont think its that btut ill try vitamins anyway.

It was only a guess that he/she is a bibbed. I really dont know about any of their breeds.

One i'm worried about is in the middle of the other two ducklings (ignore my white duck lol) She's in moult

everytime i feed them i see him/her eating so i dont think its that btut ill try vitamins anyway.

It was only a guess that he/she is a bibbed. I really dont know about any of their breeds.

One i'm worried about is in the middle of the other two ducklings (ignore my white duck lol) She's in moult
to me he just looks younger than the rest.
give it another week and see if he starts getting feathers in
he should just be starting now.
they are hard to see but you should feel them

I think it is on its belly and i'm mainly worried because it doesnt seem as tho its grown since i got it. The changes in the others are noticible
some grow at different rates.
their belly is usually one of the most noticiable places they start getting feathers.
just give him some time i bet he catches up to the others

Back
Top Bottom