odd question bout roster & ducks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by purecountrychicken, Nov 25, 2011.

1. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    we have rir rosters with barred rocks & 3 ducks. if a roo jumps on the ducks, will anythin come from it?

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I don't think so! But then again, I've never raised ducks before. I wish to soon.

3. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I can't see it.... from what I understand ducks use penetration (drakes have penis) and chickens use contact (rooster don't have penis). Plus them being 2 different animals I doubt they could succesfully breed... I think it would look cool some ducks and chickens to crossbreed but they obviously can't for a reason. And don't think its never been tried before.....!

4. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    hell yeah , no doubt. it wound a "duchen". they ever sex linked male come purple,
    females come lime green! but they are sterile ): just look on craigslist,angieslist, or ebay.
    mc murrery hatchery also has them seasonaly! [​IMG] just when they hatch they are
    so slimmie you would think they're aliens?

just kidding the cant breed, what a shame [​IMG]

5. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Duchenne muscular dystrophy is an inherited disorder ................not the SAME thinG!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It sounds like he's trying to mate them. I know drake mating hens can be fatal but not sure about the other way around.

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Not to embarrass anyone but I wanted to get into a slightly more technical discussion of the rooster anatomy given there's a bit of what my old science teacher liked to call a "glaring vagueness" in this thread. [​IMG]

While roosters do not have a penis in the strict anatomical sense, they do have a "phallic body" called the papilla within the rooster's cloaca. From the testes, the sperm travel via a deferent duct (compared to the vas deferens in mammals) which expands widely in order to enter the hen's cloaca.

Perhaps of more interest to most of us, it takes 15 days for the rooster's sperm to form. [​IMG]

8. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    They are different species. I'm pretty sure they can't mate and produce offspring....but I'm no biologist. I just saw a goat try to mate with a sheep and I'm pretty sure that can't happen either, but then again, stranger things have happened.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair &amp; Feathers

Quote:Yah, and that shake the hen does after the rooster dismount is NOT just because she wants to fix her "bed feathers" look. It's the instinctive mechanism by which she moves his sperm up into her body where it will do the most good. However, I still like to think they just don't want to look "just mounted" in front of the other chickens. [​IMG]

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Wasn't there a thread on here a while back about a guinhen ( guinea x chicken)? I'm not sure what ever became of that, but.....anyhoo. I've seen my rooster mate my turkey hen before, but I've never even thought to try to hatch any of her eggs. Maybe I'll have another project come spring......churkeys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by