Odd question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Madjohn85, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    We are 'suppose' to get our chickens tomorrow. At the same time, I am kicking myself because I ordered 4 RIR and 4 NHR. Not that I am regretting that decision, Just that I really would like to add a plymouth rock to the mix, and maybe a black jersey giant. If the other 2 come a few days later, is it still possible to raise them together? Even though they are a few days different? I am talking only adding one of each of the others. Or should I wait for later when the other ones are older?

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

IMO the best time to add is when they are very young. Only concern I could see is if one was sickly.
    Much easier to add before they get to where they pick on newbies.

3. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    You should be fine. I have added them up to two weeks younger and usually haven't had an issue.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've had a few weeks difference in the brooder and had no problems. Remember when a hen hatches naturally, they don't all hatch the same day, there can be 3 days difference. I'd say go for it!

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I mix them up to 2 1/2 weeks different in age. Watch hem close for an hour or two when you put the new one in the brooder. If they are getting stepped on or bullied too much then separate them for a couple of days to let the young ones get a little bigger.

I will be getting most of mine this year on Apr 6 and a few more on Apr 13. I don't anticipate any issues putting them in the same brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by