Odd round pink growth on my broody's neck under the feathers

olivigus

Songster
5 Years
Jan 7, 2016
Ben Lomond, California
Wondering if anyone has seen this type of thing before and whether it's something to worry about. This afternoon, when my broody hen ruffled up her feathers I noticed this growth on her skin. It's round and pink, firm to the touch, and about the diameter of a dime/size of a marble. It doesn't seem to hurt her at all when I touch it. I don't see anything else like it anywhere else on her body.
IMG_20210409_151756186.jpg
The picture is not very good. I will try to get a better one tonight when I'll have an extra set of hands and am not trying to take a picture while parting feathers and holding a hen!

Yes, sorry for the lousy pic. I will post a better one as soon as hubby gets home to help me. It's very smooth and round--like there's a fleshy marble sitting on top of her skin, but attached at the bottom. You only see it when she ruffles up or I part the feathers at her neck.

Here is a better picture. It looks very red in the photo, maybe because I irritated it by moving her feathers? There is one feather sticking out of it--could it be an infected folicle? I was tempted to pull the feather and see what happened but wanted to get some input first. It doesn't seem to hurt her at all, and she is not acting ill or infected in any way. What do folks think?
IMG_20210409_172025763_HDR.jpg

Yes, sorry for the lousy pic. I will post a better one as soon as hubby gets home to help me. It's very smooth and round--like there's a fleshy marble sitting on top of her skin, but attached at the bottom. You only see it when she ruffles up or I part the feathers at her neck.
Hmm, thats odd. If its not hurting her its probably nothing urgent, but a better picture may help. Don't worry about the pic, I can't seem to get a single good candling pic, so I totally get it haha!

Here is a better picture. It looks very red in the photo, maybe because I irritated it by moving her feathers? There is one feather sticking out of it--could it be an infected folicle? I was tempted to pull the feather and see what happened but wanted to get some input first. It doesn't seem to hurt her at all, and she is not acting ill or infected in any way. What do folks think?View attachment 2607689
Wow, is much bigger in this picture then I expected. Probably a feather cyst. When you feel it, does it feel like its full of air or fluid? I'm gonna tag some experts, thats definitely something to keep an eye on. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Back
Top Bottom