Odd Sapphire Gem Hen Behavior

sunmanchicken127

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2022
UT
Hey everyone.

I have a Sapphire Gem henthat is about 3 yrs and 8 months old. She is now at the top of the pecking order of 9 chickens total (including her).

The past week or so, I've notice some strange behavior. She roosts hours earlier than usual (which is hours earlier than the other birds) and spends about half the day hiding away in the coop. It could be many factors but I'd like input from whoever would like to chime in.

1. We recently added 6 new hens that 18 weeks old now. She immediately established herself as the "top" chicken and doesn't squable. The new hens run away but have been friendly with her recently, even roosting next to her for the past few nights.
  2. We also just expanded the coop to add 2 roosts instead of 1 to accomadate the new hens. Maybe this is throwing her off to be roosting with more chickens and the interior of the coop switching up?
  3. It is now starting to average 60-70 degrees as we go into winter vs our summer being 100 degrees on average.
  4. We don't have a chicken ramp and the chickens jump effortlessly about 2 feet up and down. She is out about half the day so she is making this jump, but maybe it's starting to be a bit much and just doesn't want to jump out anymore unless it's for food and water?
  5. Could she just be sick? Do I need to look into quarantining her to protect the rest of the flock?
I haven't noticed anything else strange. She just doesn't really go out and hides in the nesting box / roosts early. She isn't nesting on eggs and she hasn't laid eggs in a long time.

Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom