odd shape egg and which chicken isn't laying questions

MsBrenda

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
Birnamwood, Wi
Hello, I am new to the forum and also a new chicken mom. I rescued 12 chickens and a rooster from our neighbor who due to health problems, could no longer care for the birds.
The rooster is a rhode island red, 6 white leghorns, 5 black leg horns, and 1 red star. The flock is about 2 years old. I have had to take care of the chickens before bringing them to my home for a short time while my husband built a coop and fenced in an area. I have been collecting about 5 eggs a day so far and that is what I collected before bringing the chickens home to. Not all the chickens are laying and I would like to know if there is a way to tell which chickens are not laying. Would their vent area appear different (smaller)? Also this is the second time in 2 weeks I got an odd shaped egg. The surface has groves. What would cause this? Appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you.

oddegg.jpg

Have you cracked that wierd looking egg open yet?
I have a leghorn who loves to lay a double yoker about once a week. Those eggs are painfully bigger than the others.

You can inspect the vent to find out who is not laying. I didn't do this when I wanted to determine who was not laying. I just picked a day to be at home and did a nest check every 45 minutes or so. By the end of the day, I had caught most of the chickens who were laying.

I have RIR's & get a couple 'ridged' eggs a week - some like yours, some more pronounced - all different sizes. I've used some, sold some at the market & never had a bad egg from them.

When I cull my flock, I separate a chicken at a time & give them a week to see their laying habits.

Quote:
Broke the egg today and wasn't a double but it was very large.

Thanks to all for your help. I think these chickens need a lot of help.

Back
Top Bottom