Odd Silkie Colours

OddballHens

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
Scotland
Hey! So I've only been hatching and rearing my little flock for a couple of years now but I am so baffled by my Silkies. They make up the main bulk of my hens at the moment as I wanted to have broodies before delving into other breeds and I just. I'm not really convinced that they have staple colours at this point honestly! 🤣

Anyway, I just wanted to post a few of my oddities and see what y'all thought! No pics right now as I'm useless and decided to make this thread in the middle of the night but I'll get a photoshoot done tomorrow. Also I just inspected one of my newer chicks and it's a real strange one!

So my last hatch of the year ended with eight lil silks of varrying colours; blacks, golds, a partridge, a white and an odd lil smudgy guy that I'm hoping will come in blue or splash. I lost my only splash hen a couple months back and I miss her a lot but splash seems to be difficult to breed. Now those guys aren't too strange apart from that one kinda pale grey one.

The strange chick is the one I got from elsewhere, my mentor I guess? He breeds brilliant show quality birds which he shows often, focusing on Columbians, Barred Rocks, Buffs and Partridges. He's been helping me out since day one and teaching me loads but he doesn't own or breed silks or well. He didn't. Until I gifted him with a few to say thanks, since he expressed interest in the bigger US varients, double bearded. It turns out they aren't for him though as he prefers smooth feathered breeds although he has been using them to make silkie mixes for broodies. ANYWAY, he has a trio of what are sort of black silkies? I say sort of because both hens and the cockrel have started to grow in this white edging to their feathers. They almost look frosted, it's wild. He wasn't trying to breed them but one hen managed to hatch a single egg under his nose, which was hilarious when I went in and found the little thing just standing around the cockrel. So after my eggs hatched he passed it on to me.

Now this chick was black. And then it's belly got lighter and its head went kinda grey, looked like killer whale markings. The clutch are just starting to grow in their wing feathers (they're comin up on two weeks old) so I was looking at them tonight and noticed this chicks feathers were growing in black and white. Okay, weird considering the parents are black. Well, black enough but not too weird. And then I checked out their feet to be sure they had all their toes and they are genuinely piebald! Like, black and pale skin tone in blotches all over the legs and feet. I have never seen this before, all of my silks have the dark grey skin that's expected. They look so cool though! It reminds me of a piebald snake or something.

Anyone ever seen or heard of this before? Like, these guys aren't mixes and I've seen the pied chicks parents, I even raised the cockrel. They do have that weird frosting/white ticking but they are very firmly black and their skin is the normal colour for silks. They aren't even blue! It's so strange, I'll take some pics of the lil guy tomorrow and upload them since I've only just noticed the skin thing tonight.

Thoughts? Please share your own odd coloured chickens if you'd like! I live for these weirdos.

Hey! So I've only been hatching and rearing my little flock for a couple of years now but I am so baffled by my Silkies. They make up the main bulk of my hens at the moment as I wanted to have broodies before delving into other breeds and I just. I'm not really convinced that they have staple colours at this point honestly! 🤣

Anyway, I just wanted to post a few of my oddities and see what y'all thought! No pics right now as I'm useless and decided to make this thread in the middle of the night but I'll get a photoshoot done tomorrow. Also I just inspected one of my newer chicks and it's a real strange one!

So my last hatch of the year ended with eight lil silks of varrying colours; blacks, golds, a partridge, a white and an odd lil smudgy guy that I'm hoping will come in blue or splash. I lost my only splash hen a couple months back and I miss her a lot but splash seems to be difficult to breed. Now those guys aren't too strange apart from that one kinda pale grey one.

The strange chick is the one I got from elsewhere, my mentor I guess? He breeds brilliant show quality birds which he shows often, focusing on Columbians, Barred Rocks, Buffs and Partridges. He's been helping me out since day one and teaching me loads but he doesn't own or breed silks or well. He didn't. Until I gifted him with a few to say thanks, since he expressed interest in the bigger US varients, double bearded. It turns out they aren't for him though as he prefers smooth feathered breeds although he has been using them to make silkie mixes for broodies. ANYWAY, he has a trio of what are sort of black silkies? I say sort of because both hens and the cockrel have started to grow in this white edging to their feathers. They almost look frosted, it's wild. He wasn't trying to breed them but one hen managed to hatch a single egg under his nose, which was hilarious when I went in and found the little thing just standing around the cockrel. So after my eggs hatched he passed it on to me.

Now this chick was black. And then it's belly got lighter and its head went kinda grey, looked like killer whale markings. The clutch are just starting to grow in their wing feathers (they're comin up on two weeks old) so I was looking at them tonight and noticed this chicks feathers were growing in black and white. Okay, weird considering the parents are black. Well, black enough but not too weird. And then I checked out their feet to be sure they had all their toes and they are genuinely piebald! Like, black and pale skin tone in blotches all over the legs and feet. I have never seen this before, all of my silks have the dark grey skin that's expected. They look so cool though! It reminds me of a piebald snake or something.

Anyone ever seen or heard of this before? Like, these guys aren't mixes and I've seen the pied chicks parents, I even raised the cockrel. They do have that weird frosting/white ticking but they are very firmly black and their skin is the normal colour for silks. They aren't even blue! It's so strange, I'll take some pics of the lil guy tomorrow and upload them since I've only just noticed the skin thing tonight.

Thoughts? Please share your own odd coloured chickens if you'd like! I live for these weirdos.
Looking forward to your photos!🥰
All my birds are standard colors except one that I bought from someone else. Thought she was a silver Partridge when I got her at 3 weeks of age. Now at 4 months, not quite sure what to call her.😊

A'ight, here we go! Pictures of the strange one.

IMG_20210720_142809.jpg

IMG_20210720_142742.jpg
IMG_20210720_142750.jpg

IMG_20210720_142821.jpg
IMG_20210720_142837.jpg
IMG_20210720_142853.jpg

Reminder that this lil lads' parents were both black silkies and while they have started to develope white edging to areas such as the neck and wings, they look nothing like this! I also handled the mother as a chick and reared the cockrel and can confirm they were both fully black chicks. Where did this strange lil thing come from?! The feet are so weird, I've never seen anything like them on chickens before!

Here's a few pics of my other silk chicks, they share no relation with piabald lad but are being raised together. The below pictures show one of my blacks too.

IMG_20210720_143007.jpg
IMG_20210720_143014.jpg

And here's the same white from above with that odd smudgy chick I mentioned in my last post too, think they'll come blue?

IMG_20210720_143122.jpg
IMG_20210720_143134.jpg

Ahhh, these pics don't really show how much darker the other chick is, weird. It looks much more grey than the first white.

And have a full family pic as well!

IMG_20210720_143421.jpg
IMG_20210720_143430.jpg

Babies!

Attachments

• IMG_20210720_142838.jpg
    IMG_20210720_142838.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210720_143008.jpg
    IMG_20210720_143008.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210720_143019.jpg
    IMG_20210720_143019.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210720_143025.jpg
    IMG_20210720_143025.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210720_143127.jpg
    IMG_20210720_143127.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210720_143419.jpg
    IMG_20210720_143419.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Lovely silkie babies! 🥰The little black one will likely feather in all black in the end and the pink on his feet will likely darken with time as well. His feet almost look like my little paint cockerel did when he was just hatched. His feet have since darkened completely.The little white ones will likely feather in white even the one you’re describing as “smudgy”.😊
Attached a photo of some chicks I hatched earlier this year and every one of them feathered in white. Both their parents were recessive white. Chicks can vary incredibly in their down color.
The other photos are my little Partridge “something”, Amai. 4 months old currently and a photo of what she looked like as a chick.
I suspect she had one black parent and one partridge parent, though I am not sure.
3BA3E55F-A991-4901-835F-6CFC24125B6E.jpeg
D58324F0-BCB5-4AF3-8B72-9C5DDDAFBFF0.jpeg
E0C86201-990E-4732-A865-BB4694B860FF.jpeg
C992BAB7-0E70-492D-87E4-AE37943E216F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom