Odd textured eggs?

Susan McCall

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2020
One of my hens who is over a year old and laying eggs for a while now, lays a funny shaped egg about once a week. The shell is mis-shapen and feels like sand paper. Sometimes it's super thin instead of the 'sand paper'. Today I found one broken in the nesting box. They get oyster shell flakes in their food so it's not that. Your thoughts?

I get a lot of odd shaped eggs, too. Here is an article you can read about different causes for different things.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

I am always in a balancing act with the hens getting just what they need, since they are always either laying or are in the winter season. There are just so many reasons for the eggs turn out funny it is impossible not to see some, but if you are seeing a lot / consistently, you will want to look into why. The article has some ideas of what you can look for.

Just write here if you have any other questions!

One of my hens who is over a year old and laying eggs for a while now, lays a funny shaped egg about once a week. The shell is mis-shapen and feels like sand paper. Sometimes it's super thin instead of the 'sand paper'. Today I found one broken in the nesting box. They get oyster shell flakes in their food so it's not that. Your thoughts?
What type of feed?
Best to have the oyster shell in a separate container.

Back
Top Bottom