Odd wet spot under roost

Chicklit87

In the Brooder
May 11, 2022
I have 8 pullets (18+ weeks old). 3 have started laying daily 8 days ago so I switched to layer feed pellets.
All seem to be behaving normally. However, this morning I was cleaning the poop under the roost and noticed a baseball sized wet spot under the roost.
I sat in the run for 30+ minutes trying to find the culprit, but no one pooped!!!!
Yesterday they ate some grass clippings from the weed whacking around their area as well.
Wondering if it could be from the grass, from the feed change or if it could've been a weird egg a newbie dropped accidentally?

They are all over 18 weeks but some aren't laying yet- would layer feed still be a concern for organ damage at that age?? Would the wet spot be an indicator of organ damage from calcium?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

ETA: One of my layers, a leghorn, had a very watery stool just now. It has also been 4 days straight of 95 degree weather- wondering if that could be the culprit?

Last edited:
Truthfully, I would not worry about it. As long as they are active, bright eyed, good feathers and laying they are in good shape.
Yes, they were "rubber" eggs. I've seen 4 this past week. Not positive who they're coming from, but I have been finding them eating them when I check them in the morning. Mystery solved! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom