Wet poop?

5Buffies

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Hi chicken community! I have 5 buff Orpingtons that are 8 months old. They all started laying around 4 months old. I'm in Seattle and it has gotten colder and darker recently. Now there are only 1-2 that are laying and there are at least 3 that I can see are molting. They've all been on layer feed since they started laying. I've been giving the ones that are molting 1-2 tsp of higher protein food/day along with the feed: pumpkin seeds, cooked egg, black oil sunflower seeds or a combo that totals no more than 2 tsps./day for the past couple of weeks. Today I put some chick feed in another feeder in the coop so they have that option as well.

For the past 3 weeks or so I've been finding wet spots in the coop in the morning. I don't think it has to do with soft eggs because it isn't sticky and I never see any evidence of a yolk or shell. The coop isn't leaking. The spot is wet enough to soak through and stain the wood floor. There is no odor. Based on where it's been, I suspect it is one of 2 birds: one who is still laying, and one who is molting. Today when I looked at the poop, it appeared to have feathers in it.

I'm attaching some pics so you can see. Anyone have ideas about what is going on and if this is normal? They all appear to be in good health. I let them out of the coop for 30-60 mins/day to peck and scratch in the yard and they are all active. I'd really appreciate any insights you might have. Thank you!

Attachments

• coop 2.jpg
    coop 2.jpg
    877.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3161.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3162.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 10
Just looks like a looser stool to me, which is normal and it happens. As long as no one is acting off I wouldn't worry about it.
A thicker layer of pine shaving will help absorb more moisture and protect the wood more.

I have one bird who poops really wet poops like that. & it stinks (both literally & figuratively, lol). She has pooped that way for years & is healthy. Kind of a pain in many ways - her spot under the roost is always a wet mess, the little gnats LOVE her poop, her butt is always a mess so I have to trim it.

So if she's acting fine I'd not worry, but keep an eye on them.

I have one bird who poops really wet poops like that. & it stinks (both literally & figuratively, lol). She has pooped that way for years & is healthy. Kind of a pain in many ways - her spot under the roost is always a wet mess, the little gnats LOVE her poop, her butt is always a mess so I have to trim it.

So if she's acting fine I'd not worry, but keep an eye on them.
Thank you. It’s so weird because it looks more like poop and pee than diarrhea. Does your bird poop clear liquid too?

Just looks like a looser stool to me, which is normal and it happens. As long as no one is acting off I wouldn't worry about it.
A thicker layer of pine shaving will help absorb more moisture and protect the wood more.
Thank you. And is the feather eating something to be concerned about?

Back
Top Bottom