Odd wing flapping and alarm?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
My 14 month Dominique hen (Pepper) has been doing something odd...she does this rapid wing flapping and runs around a bit and makes a little noise. Please see video.

Today was the 3rd time she's done this. And she'll do it about 3 times then back to her regular daily routine. Nothing is nearby or scaring her. She seems to be doing it for no reason.

She and her 3 sisters are all happy and healthy. She's laying normally. She's acting normally (except this odd behavior). Crop is good. Poo is good.

They have a 8'×8' coop with attached 8'x14' run. Eat Grubbly Farm layer feed and occasional snacks. And free range about 4 hours a day in our urban backyard.

Has anyone seen anything like this? What could it be? Should I be worried?

She's trying to crow. Hens will crow if they don't have a rooster, especially if she's sees her self as the boss hen.
Oh wow I've heard of that but didn't put 2 and 2 together! She IS my top hen. But she's the most benevolent boss ever. She never pecks or chases anyone! She only got that role by standing up the original top hen when I got her about 11 months ago. She's a sweetheart :love

So do I just let her be or should I try to stop the behavior somehow?

Oh wow I've heard of that but didn't put 2 and 2 together! She IS my top hen. But she's the most benevolent boss ever. She never pecks or chases anyone! She only got that role by standing up the original top hen when I got her about 11 months ago. She's a sweetheart :love

So do I just let her be or should I try to stop the behavior somehow?
Unless it bothers you or your neighborhood, she can keep crowing away. I'm not sure how you'd get her to stop, actually. 😂

Back
Top Bottom