Oddly behaving pullet

10acrefarm

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2019
083B5457-73F2-456D-AE72-73F67CDC0A12.jpeg
061B83FB-0BF7-434D-9480-5F4940B9DC6D.jpeg
This is Blu aka the Roadrunner. She’s last to roost and first out of the coop. My husband says she is part falcon because she’s always on alert and ready to go in for the kill but she is not living up to her “name” the last few days.
Blu is an Americana (Easter Egger). She is 22 weeks old today. She has been on Purina Layena for about 6 weeks now, free range forages during the day, has had normal stool, and has yet to lay eggs. The last 3 days she has been lethargic, not foraging, choosing to stay on the roost or lay on the floor, stays close to us, and not eating or drinking much.
To minimize stress we brought her into a pen in the garage (much cooler, about 72...it’s been low-mid 90s outside). My first thought was that she was egg bound but I cannot feel an egg during a vent check. Her vent is a little swollen though and she is not pooping much. She has no visible injuries, no mites/live, no foot/leg issues, etc.
any ideas of how to help her? This is definitely not typical behavior for her.

My first response to any hen that looks like this when no other causes are evident is to suspect coccidiosis.
There isn't always blood in the poop but that hunched withdrawn look is a classic symptom.
I would treat with Corid or similar.

Corid is very safe and it might help. You can also take in some fresh droppings to your local vet if they are willing to do a fecal test for you, and that can identify coccidiosis and worms.

She also might be having a reproductive disorder, since it is time for her to start laying. I would watch for any albumen or yolk, or soft shell eggs being found. Figuring out what is wrong with an otherwise perfectly healthy chicken is difficult. Check her crop to make sure that it empties overnight, and if it seems full and puffy or hard first thing in the morning, that may be a sign that it is not working.

Make sure that she is drinking enough water, and five some electrolytes or Gatorade if she is not eating. Cooked egg or tuna sometimes can coax them to eat. Hopefully, this is a temporary illness. Corid dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of Corid liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It is found in the cattle medicines in feed stores.

My first response to any hen that looks like this when no other causes are evident is to suspect coccidiosis.
There isn't always blood in the poop but that hunched withdrawn look is a classic symptom.
I would treat with Corid or similar.

Still treat even though her stool is normal?

Do what you think is best. But she looks very ill. I would try to get her to drink electrolytes with vitamins, and to eat a little egg, wet feed, and do what you can to tempt her to eat. Keep checking to see if she is eggbound occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom