Odor question

We use pine shavings, (smaller than wood chips but larger than saw dust) it absorbs the moisture and prevents droopings from sticking to the floor and to top it off it even has a light pine scent. We shovel it out every week or so when the coop does begin to smell. A local saw mill gives it to us free.

If you are looking for something to clean with try orange oil based cleaners. Many non toxic ones out there. It also has the added advantage of killing off mite eggs that have been laid in the perches and crevices of the nest boxes.

I use DE. I dust it all over the coop floor and dust bowl. I've noticed a huge difference since I started using it. NO ODOR! Plus the flies are kept at such a minimum I rarely see one. I love that stuff! I"m so glad I got turned onto it through this forum. It's the best stuff since white bread.

Last edited:
Wear a mask or just cover you nose and mouth with your sleeve(which is what I do) I just grab a handful and fling. Some on the ground, some on the birds, a bit in the feed, some over in the coop. When I'm done, I wipe my hands off on the dog, lol.

cookinmom...Okay, here is an old countrygirl method of using DE as a dust.
1 coffee can(big one is best)remove lid
take a good size nail and hammer and punch holes in the bottom of the can, at least 20-25 holes if using a 10 penny nail. The bigger the whole the more dust you will apply.
secure a handle(i use a tobacco stick) with nails to the inside of the can
fill with DE and shake can up and down close to surface you are dusting
You can also make a lid out of the plastic lid that comes with the coffee. just cut a hole in it big enough to slide down the handle. make sure your cut is on the side of the plastic lid so it will fit snuggly. it also helps on cutting down on what you inhale.

I buy my DE online at countrysidenaturalproducts.com
most recent price was 25.00 for 50lbs. shipping it here to TN was @18.00. this was a great deal in my opinion. Make sure you get FOOD GRADE DE, ONLY!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom