Odor

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Master S.M.C, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Okay my chickens are starting to smell extremely bad, how do I control it?

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Hello

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You have to keep it dry in the coop. You mean the coop, right, not the chickens themselves? We scoop the worst nightly poop into a bucket every morning, on occasion we sprinkle diatomaceous earth (food grade!) under the roost, and that helps dry out the poop. the drier it is, the less the odor. In the run outside, you can till under some lime on occasion and that will help in the pen.

4. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    You are going to have to keep that coop clean with plenty of ventelation. I use the deep litter method. I totally clean out my coop every three months.

5. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't had an odor problem yet, but if we knew more about your situation, we could give you more specific advice.

How many chickens? How old are they? How big is the coop/run? What kind of bedding? We can try to help if we can figure out where the problem is....

6. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I don't use the deep litter method but do make sure that all bedding is changed frequently and mixed thoroughly with Diatomaceous earth.

Suzy

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I have deep litter and haven't changed the shavings since November. When people visit, they comment that they can't believe there is absolutely no smell. My guess is that you have damp conditions. Do you need more ventilation? Maybe the run needs to be raked? I keep sand in the run which makes it a snap to rake about once a month. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by