Odor

You have to keep it dry in the coop. You mean the coop, right, not the chickens themselves? We scoop the worst nightly poop into a bucket every morning, on occasion we sprinkle diatomaceous earth (food grade!) under the roost, and that helps dry out the poop. the drier it is, the less the odor. In the run outside, you can till under some lime on occasion and that will help in the pen.

I haven't had an odor problem yet, but if we knew more about your situation, we could give you more specific advice.

How many chickens? How old are they? How big is the coop/run? What kind of bedding? We can try to help if we can figure out where the problem is....

I don't use the deep litter method but do make sure that all bedding is changed frequently and mixed thoroughly with Diatomaceous earth.

Suzy

I have deep litter and haven't changed the shavings since November. When people visit, they comment that they can't believe there is absolutely no smell. My guess is that you have damp conditions. Do you need more ventilation? Maybe the run needs to be raked? I keep sand in the run which makes it a snap to rake about once a month. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom