odors and flies

We have horses as well, so we have a uber-huge manure pile--but we've found that using fly predators works very well. We don't even have fly masks on our horses right now, and haven't had to use fly spray all season. You can order them from Spalding labs--it takes a while for them to kick in, but it's really worth it. We've also got the disposable fly traps going on, and I use the compressed wood pellets in the coop--for some reason these tend to absorb the moisture and smell.

Good luck!

What are the fly predators called?
idunno.gif

I have been using a product called Stall Buster in my coop. It has bacteria in it that consume nitrogen in feces and really keeps the smell down to a minimum. Also it helps to compost the bedding and waste. One ounce mixed with some water in a squirt bottle will treat an area about 12'x12' and should last about a week or so. Good luck. The sticky fly traps are the best in my opinion. They don't stink but you do have to change often if you have alot of flies. Keep in mind the more you use them the more likely you are to break the breeding cycle. Meaning if you trap alot of flies fewer of them are going to breed and make more flies. Fight the good fight!!!

big_smile.png
They really are just called fly predators! They're about the size of fruit flies (apparently, I've yet to see one in the barn) and they eat fly pupae--so the flies never hatch. The place we get them from sends 5,000 a month, (I think it turns out to be approx $5) and all you do is sprinkle them on your manure pile when they start to hatch.

Here's the website:http://www.spalding-labs.com/home.php

Back
Top Bottom