OEG hen colour genetic questions!!!

AllyAna

Hatching
Aug 16, 2016
Hey there! I have a few game hens and the colour thing is really confusing me. I have a pair of red pyles and the chicks that I got are both white (from what I can tell). I was expecting red pyles (not a big deal just not what I thought. Will they get the colour as they age? They're about 4 weeks old now.

Also if I crossed a red pyle roo with a self blue or black tailed Jap hen, what colour will the chicks be?

Thanks guys!!

Hey there! I have a few game hens and the colour thing is really confusing me. I have a pair of red pyles and the chicks that I got are both white (from what I can tell). I was expecting red pyles (not a big deal just not what I thought. Will they get the colour as they age? They're about 4 weeks old now.

Also if I crossed a red pyle roo with a self blue or black tailed Jap hen, what colour will the chicks be?

Thanks guys!!
red pyles are dominant white and wild type at he E locus. The colors should appear as the birds feather in. They need their adult plumage to show the red pyle plumage.

red pyle x self blue = some mostly white offspring and some mostly black offspring, split about 50/50

red pyle x black tailed jap= some red pyle females ( females most likely not salmon breasted), mostly white males,

other males may be columbian restricted (similar to jap) if the jap carries a modifier(s) or males will be silver duckwing with some white on the breast, other females will have the dark brown phenotype ( as in dark brown leghorn) or gold duckwing is possible, but females will be a darker red color with decreased stippling, it is possible that the females will be partially columbian restricted and have burnt orange on back and breast

Back
Top Bottom