OEGB Colors

So if you buy a crele, is there any way of knowing if its pure or an intermediate? Other than crossing it and seeing what the offspring look like.

Quote:
For the most part if they are nice and dark they are intermediate, if they are light in color they are not a intermediate. Both the light and the dark (intermediate) are pure Crele patern.

If when you are breeding Crele you keep breeding Crele to Crele and there offspring back to Crele then your color is coloring to fade out.
By crossing Crele back to B.B. Reds you will keep the clean dark color plus when you breed back to a B.B. Red you are not rely crossing them, it's like breeding Blue, Black Splash

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Black X Black = 100% Black
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

Or like breeding Dun (dark brown dun), khaki (dun splash), black.

Dun splash x black will give dark brown dun (100%).
Dun splash x dark brown dun gives dun splash (50%), dark brown dun (50%).
Dark brown dun x dark brown dun gives dun splash (25%), dark brown (50%) and black (25%).
Dark brown dun x black gives 50% dark brown dun and 50% black

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Some people absolutely will not cross any, they want them as pure as possible, and you got others that may not have a pure bird on their place, but most people fit in the middle somewhere...myself, I like keepin colors pure, that is why I have lemon blues/brown reds and brassy backs/blue brassybacks...they are the same birds, just a blue variety and black variety...

But really with crossing within a Duckwing group like I was saying, its really the same thing, its not like you get mutt colors, if you know how the genetics work your can get just as predictable results as crossing black varities with blue varieties.

BBRed X Crele would be a Non barred variety with a barred variety

BBRed X Silver Duckinwing would be a gold variety with a silver variety

BBRed X Red Pye would be a black variety with a dominant White variety

BBRed X Spangled would be a non mottled variety x mottled variety.

So its the same concept as breeding different varieties of the same pattern, you just got to know a little more about genetics to be able to predict them.

Quote:
Yep, hed be lighter if hes pure Crele and darker if hes Het/ Intermediate. If you can tell, post pics and let some of us tell you.

Quote:
Crele is best kept seperate, they were originally created using a BB red male over barred hens. This provided the red base for hackle, saddle and wing bow. Then breed back on each other. the barred pattern is dominant. You can cross crele back into either of the two parent varieties but I would not recomend it.

Quote:
Crele is best kept seperate, they were originally created using a BB red male over barred hens. This provided the red base for hackle, saddle and wing bow. Then breed back on each other. the barred pattern is dominant. You can cross crele back into either of the two parent varieties but I would not recomend it.

You wouldnt want to cross back the the barred variety for sure but there is nothing wrong with crossing to the BBReds.

You can cross anything with anything lol :) but anyway if you get the crele in there you can always get it out, a couple generations and the visible display of the gene would be undetectable as long as you don't breed with any creles, but the gene would be there and you could always bring it back out. Not recommended for serious breeders sellers and showers, but for hobbyists what the heck lol go for it

OK, I believe I have some OEG bantams. I'm not positive tho, I'm going by what someone suggested they are, so if they aren't please tell me! IF they are, I'm curious as to how to determine what kind of offspring I'll get from them. The hens went broody early this spring (for the first time) but of the 3 chicks that hatched, all died before I could get an idea of what colors they were. The colors of the roo and hens don't seem to be standard in the first place so how can I figure out which traits will pass on? Also, the roo (which is the only roo I have that is old enough to breed) has been "associating" with my Black Stars and EE's ( both of which are standard size) and one of the Black Stars have been brooding a clutch with a mix of all the different eggs-including 7 from the bantams I'm curious about- and all have chicks growing in them. So will the chicks from the standard hens be bantam or standard or a mix of both? I just can't figure out who passes which traits on to the offspring. I hope this isn't confusing! I've tried the chicken calculator thing but don't know what to put in for my specific chickens because of their odd colors and bantam size. I sure would appreciate any help understanding how to figure out the genetics aspect!

Here's some pics of the bantams I'm talking about...There's the roo and two hens. I'm curious about all this because I think the roo(Pickles) is just beautiful-even if his colors aren't what they're "supposed" to be- and I'm wondering if there's a way to get some HENS that have his coloring? Is that possible with what I have to work with? If not I'd just like to be able to figure out what colors I can get. Thanks in advance!!

Usually I get roosters that look more like their mothers and hens that have their fathers color. The lighter hen looks like the color matched to your rooster and the darker looks like a bbred, if you're not sure about them being oegb then weigh them, they sure look the part but they should weigh from 1-2 pounds

Back
Top Bottom