OEGB Colors

AprilWC

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 7, 2011
north Georgia
Hi guys. I am perusing Ideal Hatchery's site and contemplating placing an order for OEGB. My problem is that I like too many - more than I can house. lol So which colors are compatible and which crosses would give me undesirable results?

You can cross Brown Reds on Lemon Blues, Birchens on Silver Blues, Silver Duckwings on Blue Silver Duckwings, Chocolate and Fawn Duckwings, Blue and Splash, Brassy Backs and Blue Brassy Backs, Wheatons and Blue Wheatons, and Blue Reds on BB's as previously stated...thats all I can think of off the top of my head...The Blue and Black varieties (Brown Red/Lemon Blue, Wheaton/Blue Wheaton, etc...) of course can be crossed with no big problems...you can cross ALL the crow wings together, with only some off colored cockerels...you cross brown red, lemon blue, silver blue and birchen, the pullets from any of those crosses will be one of the four, but some of the cockerels would carry both the silver and gold gene....

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.
smile.png
Can Crele be bred to anything or would they be best kept separately?

Quote:
Good question. I do know that hatchery crele are nothing like a nicely bred show bird. They are very pale in color. Not the nice golden brown that I like. I've got pic of both if interested. I like all the OEGB colors. Its hard to pick just one.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yep

If you are just getting them for pets mainly and want several colors, it would be best to group varieties of a certain pattern group.

Like Duckwings, a Duckwing group could consist of

Silver Duckwing
BBRed ( Red Ducking)
Golden Duckwing
Blue Reds ( Red Duckwing with Blue)
Fawn Reds ( Red Duckwing with Dun)
Fawn Silver Duckwing( Silver with Dun)
Blue Silver ( Silver Duckwing with Blue )
Creles ( Red Duckwing with barring)
Red Pyle (Red Duckwing with Dominant White)
Spangled ( Red Duckwing with Mottleing)

Any of those colors could be kept and crossed together and always produce Ducking based chicks and could be bred back to a specific one of those colors in one or two generations, or basicly you wont get any mutty colors that cant be used for breeding, anything you hatch from this group can be used for breeding back for a specific color.

Then you could keep other varieties of the same base pattern together the same way.

Quote:
Good question. I do know that hatchery crele are nothing like a nicely bred show bird. They are very pale in color. Not the nice golden brown that I like. I've got pic of both if interested. I like all the OEGB colors. Its hard to pick just one.
big_smile.png

The difference in the shade of color is that the hatchery males being that they need to mass produce them to be all creles, are homozygous for barring and have two copies which makes them lighter. ( Its the same was as a homo. barred Barred Rock roo is lighter than the hens who only have one copy of barring. So the show type crele roos are bred to only have one copy of barring which makes them darker and if bred to crele hens. They should produce half dark and half light males and half crele and half bbred hens. Is that the results you get with breeding with yours ?

Last edited:
Quote:
big_smile.png

The difference in the shade of color is that the hatchery males being that they need to mass produce them to be all creles, are homozygous for barring and have two copies which makes them lighter. ( Its the same was as a homo. barred Barred Rock roo is lighter than the hens who only have one copy of barring. So the show type crele roos are bred to only have one copy of barring which makes them darker and if bred to crele hens. They should produce half dark and half light males and half crele and half bbred hens. Is that the results you get with breeding with yours ?

No, I haven't really bred the crele color. I just started to get into the showing of the OEGB. What you said about breeding the crele is very interesting. Thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
Crele can be bred back to a B.B. Red. When you breed Crele back to B.B. Red you darken and clean up the color of the Crele.

Catlin (1991) describes how he made his own strain of Creles by crossing two Crele males with two unrelated Black Breasted Red females. From the mating all the sons were dark
(intermediate) Creles and all the daughters pure Creles. By crossing first generation males and females he extracted some pure Crele males to go with the pure Crele females already obtained.
Wolf (1991):

SIRE.....................DAM..................SONS.............................................DAUGHTERS
Crele....................Crele............100% Crele.......................................100% Crele
Crele....................B.B. Red......100% Intermediate...........................100% Crele
Intermediate.......Crele...........50% Crele & 50% Intermediate.........50% Crele & 50% B.B. Red
Intermediate.......B.B. Red......50% Intermediate & 50% B.B. Red....50% Crele & 50% B.B. Red
B.B. Red..............Crele............100% Intermediate...........................100% B.B. Red

Intermediate
In genetic term an "intermediate" male is heterozygous for barring (Bb). Females carry but one sex chromosome so a B- female would be called hemizygous; a BB (Black Breasted) male would be homozygous for barring.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom