OEGB Facial line Sexing? Is this true?

HetaChick

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
California
Hey! I am new to OEGB's and I read somewhere on an old post that you can tell the sex of a OEG chick with the black/brown line that runs through its eye. Is this true?
IMG_0395.jpg

About 2 days ago
That would make her a girl, right? IDK if this is true, and I won't know sex for sure for a while x.x but I'm curious as to whether or not this "rule" is true. I love my little bird and I don't care either way, I did give "her" a girl name already but I have a counter name…hehe. My first chick which looked like a roo for a while also turned out to be a rather broody hen so maybe I got a girl again.

I find it ironic that I get all hens when I could give a roo a home and then others can't keep them =/ a little sad actually.

My little chick is pecking at my keys xD "HEY YOU'RE NOT HOLDING ME Dx<"

Today (just now)
IMG_0411.jpg

Feathering
IMG_0409.jpg

Yesterday… DEFINITELY a pea comb and its a bit of a bump (hard to tell tho) Which is a little odd at 3 or 4 days… right? WELL It's early so I know it's super hard to tell but my EE's comb wasn't this much then yet. Different breeds though =P
IMG_0412.jpg

Full chick (just now)

I know I'm asking super early, but if the line method is accurate I should already have my answer. Any one with OEGB's that can say ? She's also not pure (I don't think) Pretty sure her dad's a Shamo (weiiiiird cross…)

idk, but if it has a pea comb it isnt an oegb. they have straight combs. sometimes they look like pea in pics, but that's b/c show oegb have their combs dubbed.

if its definitely a peacomb then it is not a OEGB, OEGB have straight combs. it could be a minature gamefowl or minature pit game which can have single or peacombs.

the eye line thing doesn't hold true for some breeds, but gamebirds I have no idea. to me its just a guessing game in the end.

Last edited:
Okay thanks! That proves my baby can be a OEGB (which is the only explanation as my friend told me he had those…) and her comb is from her father. Thanks DTChickens, I don't know my chicken genetics yet lol.

My baby's just not a pure breed. *shrugs*

The confusion comes in with calling he/she a OEGB, it is possible she is a OEGB cross. But she is not OEGB ;). OEGB would only have single combs (that is, pure ones). But as you mention, she is carrying Shamo blood which is where the pea comb comes from. I just hope it is KO Shamo, because a large fowl Shamo, especially if 10 pounders like mine crossing with a OEGB seems rather tricky!
wink.png

God bless,
Daniel.

Oh it is. I suppose i she call it a cross, but it honestly (besides the comb) looks like all the oegbs of its color. *shrugs* saves typing time too.

Also… i definitely saw the roosters and they are big ol' Shamos I really feel bad for my chick's mom but I love this little one to pieces. (It even "protects" me from my hen's other chicks…
roll.png
)

But I guess I'll have call to a cross. Since besides the comb it didn't look much different and It probably will look like on in body too. ( It has it's little tail up even at this age, the other chicks which are miscellaneous shamo crosses do not and are like 2.5X the size and are the exact same age…)

I was mainly wondering about the OEGB line sexing, or the facial line sexing in general. The little bird is sort of aggressive to the bigger chicks but it's a game chicken all over so i'm really not surprised. I'm not going to use that to sex it though because behavior can be misleading. My Broody chased my moms dog as a pullet so I don't know about that aha. But that wasn't to protect me. This little one won't let the other chicks near me without chasing them away. Seems rooish, but if the line thing is true it's a girl. GAH. WHY CAN'T I JUST ASK YOU LITTLE CHICKEN?!?

I did mention in my first post the male was a Shamo though, I didn't know I had to be super specific, then again I should have since where I posted it xD my bad. :(

Oh it is. I suppose i she call it a cross, but it honestly (besides the comb) looks like all the oegbs of its color. *shrugs* saves typing time too.

Also… i definitely saw the roosters and they are big ol' Shamos I really feel bad for my chick's mom but I love this little one to pieces. (It even "protects" me from my hen's other chicks…
roll.png
)

But I guess I'll have call to a cross. Since besides the comb it didn't look much different and It probably will look like on in body too. ( It has it's little tail up even at this age, the other chicks which are miscellaneous shamo crosses do not and are like 2.5X the size and are the exact same age…)

I was mainly wondering about the OEGB line sexing, or the facial line sexing in general. The little bird is sort of aggressive to the bigger chicks but it's a game chicken all over so i'm really not surprised. I'm not going to use that to sex it though because behavior can be misleading. My Broody chased my moms dog as a pullet so I don't know about that aha. But that wasn't to protect me. This little one won't let the other chicks near me without chasing them away. Seems rooish, but if the line thing is true it's a girl. GAH. WHY CAN'T I JUST ASK YOU LITTLE CHICKEN?!?

I did mention in my first post the male was a Shamo though, I didn't know I had to be super specific, then again I should have since where I posted it xD my bad. :(

I didn't even read that part honestly, I saw OEGB in the title, and OEGB a few times throughout the post and had the general idea so I skipped didn't even read the fine print haha. Interesting cross nonetheless, wouldn't mind seeing updates on it later on. I have heard of the facial line sexing, and have used similar methods with decent accuracy. But never kept good records to tell you exactly how well it does indeed work.

It may appear to be pea comb, but are you sure it isn't a single comb? It almost seems impossible for a 8-10 pound cock to breed with a little 20 oz (give or take) hen lol...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom