OEGB - NEEDING SOME HELP HERE?!

ssample4

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2024
Alright, I really need some insight from some people that will totally not judge. So 1st and foremost, I am going to say... if there are hateful/nastiness about my daughter's bird, I will not be a happy momma. She is so proud of him. It is amazing how so many grown adults can be "keyboard warriors" and degrade a child/teenager's 4H project. 😥 Her father and I was flat out disappointed. Our son's Gingers were different, and he has had a couple years to build his line before he has actually shown his because he was a "clover". Now, she just bought Monte' and the girls last fall... We were sold them as Lemon, and so man are saying negative that they are something completely different.

Finally, down to business...

I am needing insight from true/helpful/insightful OEGB breeders that can help us understand Lemon Blue breeding, and if Monte' is a Lemon Blue or not. I know the photos in the post are not the best and if I need to I can get better. I do appreciate any help and education that our new family here can help provide for us. My daughter, Evie, will not want to give up on him this season, as she has registered him this season at a couple shows as Lemon Blue and she is starting to stress because of all the negativity last evening when we were wanting info about expanding, and what gals we would need to look into.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20240524-134928.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20240524-134928.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
To me at first glance, I see Lemon Blue all day. I would guess everyone is getting upset over him because his hackles might be too dark and in at least the first picture, his shoulders don't seem to make the cut. His saddle seems to be lacking in color as well. I would have him stand by himself and take a side-view picture of his whole body to show his true elegance.

How old is he? I do know as these age into maturity, they become the more show-y part of their appearance. Then by the time they hit their first adult molt, their appearance goes dowhill. With these, it's best to show them between 5-6 months of age to their first molt (or winter, depending on location) because that's when you're going to get the best out of your bird. After that, if your bird is a winner with awesome qualities, he sticks around to father the next season's show bird.

Now I've never had the Lemon Blues (though I'd love to someday), nor have I ever showed any of my bantams, but I used to have a small flock of the Silver Duckwing Old English Games (these are hard to show) for a little over six years. I recommend asking for advice in this section of the forum here: Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP

Alright, I really need some insight from some people that will totally not judge. So 1st and foremost, I am going to say... if there are hateful/nastiness about my daughter's bird, I will not be a happy momma. She is so proud of him. It is amazing how so many grown adults can be "keyboard warriors" and degrade a child/teenager's 4H project
None of this is necessary, we aren't facebook. :]

None of this is necessary, we aren't facebook. :]
I am totally aware of this :)

That is why I have moved on to this forum. We genuinely want insight on how how to properly identify if he and the ladies are really a Lemon Blue so that we can move forward with her blood lines. Or not. And who better to ask than the new Chicken Fam?

To me at first glance, I see Lemon Blue all day. I would guess everyone is getting upset over him because his hackles might be too dark and in at least the first picture, his shoulders don't seem to make the cut. His saddle seems to be lacking in color as well. I would have him stand by himself and take a side-view picture of his whole body to show his true elegance.

How old is he? I do know as these age into maturity, they become the more show-y part of their appearance. Then by the time they hit their first adult molt, their appearance goes dowhill. With these, it's best to show them between 5-6 months of age to their first molt (or winter, depending on location) because that's when you're going to get the best out of your bird. After that, if your bird is a winner with awesome qualities, he sticks around to father the next season's show bird.

Now I've never had the Lemon Blues (though I'd love to someday), nor have I ever showed any of my bantams, but I used to have a small flock of the Silver Duckwing Old English Games (these are hard to show) for a little over six years. I recommend asking for advice in this section of the forum here: Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP

Thank you Lacy. The breeder said the trio hatched out in June '23, so the photo on the right he would have been 8 months old and I figure as we near the county fair in July he will be much better. I will try to get better photos of him this evening

Back
Top Bottom