Oegb

Z13pyz

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2020
So I'm having an unusual experience with my old english banty chicks. I am working on a lavender birchen project. Ran a small batch of eggs in the bater and ended up with 2 little ones. Hatch went smooth everything was well. 4 days old now and some weird things have been happening in the brooder. Last night I went to check on them before bed and to my surprise one was belly up dead so I thought atleast. Then it wiggled. So I nudged it with my finger and rolled it over and it was fine. Hmm. Now I know chickens cant breathe long on their backs so I went to bed glad I had checked on them first. 3 am loud chirping woke me up. Loudest chirping iv ever heard. Rushed in and found them both belly up side by side and one was already gone. I flipped the other other pulled the dead one. And have found the live one on it's back twice today. I added vitamins and electrolytes to their water. I have no idea what's going on somebody help!

So I'm having an unusual experience with my old english banty chicks. I am working on a lavender birchen project. Ran a small batch of eggs in the bater and ended up with 2 little ones. Hatch went smooth everything was well. 4 days old now and some weird things have been happening in the brooder. Last night I went to check on them before bed and to my surprise one was belly up dead so I thought atleast. Then it wiggled. So I nudged it with my finger and rolled it over and it was fine. Hmm. Now I know chickens cant breathe long on their backs so I went to bed glad I had checked on them first. 3 am loud chirping woke me up. Loudest chirping iv ever heard. Rushed in and found them both belly up side by side and one was already gone. I flipped the other other pulled the dead one. And have found the live one on it's back twice today. I added vitamins and electrolytes to their water. I have no idea what's going on somebody help!
What is the temperature of your brooder? Do they have enough heat and a cool side to escape it? What are you feeding them? It will help if you post pics of your brooder set up

What is the temperature of your brooder? Do they have enough heat and a cool side to escape it? What are you feeding them? It will help if you post pics of your brooder set up
Stays between 32c and 35c depending on room temp. And yes they have a shaded cool side. Feeding purina medicated start and grow crumbles. Dont have a good picture at the moment but I will follow up with one. Here's what I do have

Attachments

• 20210403_184656.jpg
    20210403_184656.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210403_184721.jpg
    20210403_184721.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 5
Hopefully @Eggcessive will chime in.

Something neurological is possible as @Aapomp831 suggested. I would make sure to give vitamins that contain E and B1 (Thiamine).

Tell me this - have you used that particular heat lamp before with no issues or is this a new bulb? You've used the plastic container with no issues before too?

Your temp runs 32-35C - is that the whole brooder or just the one spot under the lamp?

Hopefully @Eggcessive will chime in.

Something neurological is possible as @Aapomp831 suggested. I would make sure to give vitamins that contain E and B1 (Thiamine).

Tell me this - have you used that particular heat lamp before with no issues or is this a new bulb? You've used the plastic container with no issues before too?

Your temp runs 32-35C - is that the whole brooder or just the one spot under the lamp?
The vitamin I added to water is durvet and contains e and thiamine along with many others. Iv used the lamp before without issues and haven't replaced the bulb yet. I run a fob on the light side so not sure about entire brooder temp but I would say its slightly cooler on the shaded side. And yes used container before with no issues. The chick just seems to be sleeping a lot

The vitamin I added to water is durvet and contains e and thiamine along with many others. Iv used the lamp before without issues and haven't replaced the bulb yet. I run a fob on the light side so not sure about entire brooder temp but I would say its slightly cooler on the shaded side. And yes used container before with no issues. The chick just seems to be sleeping a lot
Just checking on the lamp bulb and tub, so if you've used them with no issues before, then we can eliminate them from the investigation.

Is the chick able to eat/drink on it's own and move around?

I have seen it eating and drinking. When they both were alive they actually just hung out in the food tray and ate. Not real active on moving but they were running around when I was in there adjusting things. I had to introduce them to the water but they got it after that. Haven't seen eating or drinking today though. Or any fresh poop. And when this chick has moved today i noticed its using its wings a lot like it is getting weaker on it feet

Back
Top Bottom