Off chicken also laying soft eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dook, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    I have a chicken who seems a little off, she walks around for a bit and then stands still for long periods of time and at time just nestles her head into her wing. She's not acting normal (she's normally running around up to no good with her twin)
    Two days ago, (probably yesterday aswell) and just now she's laid eggs with no shell. They come out as a sack and the egg white and yolk separate. She gets the same diet as all the other chickens, and extra grit is always available for them aswell.

Yesterday we had huge rains and it flooded the chicken run, thats about the only thing thats been different lately. The water has subsided now, and they've been busy eating all the worms and snails thats about.
    I have her inside right now to keep warm and feed her some bread as she didnt want to eat scratch mix or pellets today
    Anyone have any idea what might be wrong, or what i could give her to make her feel better? Or something extra to give her other than grit to help her make proper eggs?

Is this a case where I should give apple cider vinegar if she has an upset tummy? (i've yet to buy some..but can get it from my work) or does it sound like she might need some antibiotics? Also some sort of calcium supplement?

Thanks in advance!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Some of the diseases that can cause that are avian influenza, egg drop syndrome, also possibly Newcastle and infectious bronchitis. Any respiratory symptoms? Keep the bird warm.
    Antibiotics really won't help with those things if that's what it is. How old is the bird?

The fact that she seems sick may rule out inadequate nutrition such as an imbalance of calcium, phosphorus, manganese or vitamin D3

Grit does nothing for egg shell quality. Grit is insoluble stones that assist the gizzard in feed grinding.

Oyster shell is soluble calcium that should be offered in a separate container.

3. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    Thanks for replying!

She's almost 2 yrs old, she's not showing any signs of respiratory symptoms, breathing is fine and no noise. She is pooping small white and greenish coloured poop though (hoping it'll change by morning since I was able to feed her before she went to bed)

I'll have to update in the morning to see if there's any improvement. She is staying inside in a cage with a blanket to keep warm. I hope she'll want to eat some scratch mix or pellets rather than just bread - all she'll eat atm... (I did add a bit of olive oil aswell, as the vet has mentioned it helps with digestion) She's not wanting to drink any water though, I soaked a few bit of bread in water so she could get at least a bit of it in her so she doesnt dehydrate or anything. Is there such thing as chicken multivitamins and minerals i can get...or something like that? or is human kind ok if i crush it up?

I'll have to go into a stock feed place and see if they have any oyster shell available! Thanks again!

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can mix some of her pellets with water to make a wet mash.
    There are chicken vitamins and should be available in AUS.
    You can also probably find a baby/child liquid multi vitamin. Get the kind without iron.

5. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    Thanks for that! I'll give her some wet mash now and see if she'll eat it. This morning she was eager to eat bread, but nothing else yet, not even water. She had a dark greeny tar like poop in the cage (improvement??)

I let her out side since its a nice sunny warm day, and she pretty much went straight to the next box and has been in there ever since (about 2hrs)

I will head out shortly to see if I can get her some vitamins to take. =)

6. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    She wouldnt eat the mash...but I was able to get some vitamin powder called Sustenhance which says to add to their food, so I'll try add it to some bread for her to eat. I also got some ACV for all the chickens to try, since it's supposed to be pretty good for their insides =) I'll try get her to drink some acv mix aswell. If not, I do have some syringes I can feed her water with (worried if she wont drink at all she'll get worse..so forcefully give her a few mls at least)

7. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    My chicken still seems "ok" but still slow and not as peppy. She seems to have a slow reaction time to getting bread bits, and cant seem to have the strength to pull grass to eat. She refuses to eat anything i offer with the vitamin powder. She seems like she wanted to eat some grain, but just picks it up and spits it back out like it tastes bad =( even bread with it on she wont touch.

I managed to get her to drink some water with the syringe though, thats about all so far....is there a trick to force feed a chicken..she is impossible to open her mouth (even for the water!) I had to squirt it on her beak and she drank it as it trickled in her mouth. She really needs to eat or i suspect her to get worse =(

No swelling or signs of discomfort. she just looks tired all the time..=(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by