Off His Feet

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
I keep seeing people writing about their Cornish Cross laying with their head in the feeder and pooping right where they are laying without moving.

My Cornish Cross have always been just regular chickens, moving around like regular chickens, and pooping normal chicken poop. But finally, I am seeing what people are talking about.

I have a Cornish Cross who is off his feet. I suspect that it is a slipped tendon be cause he can't stand, but is otherwise alert and normal in appearance and behavior. I moved him inside, back into the brooder, and he is laying in one place. I've got food and water that he can reach without getting up.

His appetite is normal and he is consuming the same amount of food and water. He's got a pile of poop right at his rear end because he doesn't move.

I can pick him up, move him a couple of inches and clean up the pile. It's no problem with one bird. It would be a problem with 20 of them. It could really be a problem if the birds had diarrhea.

This is an injured bird. If your Cornish Cross don't move, there is something wrong with their health. If your Cornish Cross have stinky diarrhea, there is something wrong with their health.

If there is something wrong with your birds' health, good livestock management dictates that you are supposed to do something about it. Diarrhea can be and should be treated. Normal Cornish Cross should not be off their feet.

My Cornish Cross are just normal hatchery chicks, the same as everyone else is raising. They are not some special extra healthy strain. I have lost 5. One loss is a mystery, 4 dead birds were clearly a management issue. My fault. My bad management, not anything wrong with the breed.

This injured bird is due to a management issue. My fault, nothing wrong with the breed. But, by golly, he is sleeping with his head in the feeder and pooping right where he is lying. I can see where that would be disgusting with a whole flock of chickens doing the same.

I would have me a "cornish hen" once that one got big enough. But absolutely, if they aren't moving at all, then something is wrong. Even overcrowded in the conditions many raise them in, they move at least some.

My "butcher" is gone for the holiday weekend. When he gets home, the bird will go into the freezer. He's had a chance to recover and he isn't getting any better. If he wants to live, he'd better be up and walking by this evening. Last chance, Bird.

Back
Top Bottom