"Off" rooster...is it isolated issue or illness or what?!

Brahmachick

Hatching
Jun 29, 2016
I have a 3mo Brahma rooster that has been off for many weeks. I first noticed he would lie down in the grass while feeding. Then slowly his gate was off a bit, next he seemed to lose his balance when running, but never falls just staggers, and he can't roost or jump. He eats, drinks, poops, eyes are clear, no discharge, just seemed to have some brain damage....? I have a flock of 20, all Brahma from the same hatch, the others were all looking excellent, but tonight another roo seemed... lost is a good way to describe it. They have a huge coop, and free range all day, access to water in multiple waterers, are fed a 16% feed (changed in the last 2 weeks from 20%). They get veg scraps, grit, and DE. What am I missing?! No external parasites, these guys look awesome, I am stumped!!! Contacted a vet but I'd like to see what the group thinks or has experienced. I have a closed flock. Now that I reread all this I'm thinking poison maybe...? Ideas...?

Can you start the 20% feed again for a few more weeks? They should be on that 18-20% for up to 20 weeks, until the pullets are laying. Some even use 20% flock raiser for all of the flock, and give calcium in the form of crushed oyster shell on the side for extra calcium.
Were your chickens vaccinated for Mareks disease? That could be a possibility with your cockerel and other sick bird. Vitamins added to the water sometimes can treat vitamins deficiencies that affect walking. Dehydration or even coccidiosis can affect balance and walking.Is there any diarrhea or lethargy? There is a very good article about Mareks disease to read if you search at the top of this page for Mareks, and look for "The Great Big Giant Mareks Faq."

No abnormal poop, no lethargy, but a couple roosters were showing signs of too much protein, hence the 16%. These are unvaccinated, but from a certified breeder, and a closed flock. I do add vitamins to the water but not to every waterer. And I alternate with a probiotic. The other roo seemed fine this AM so I think I was reading more into it than there was :) I think he was just upset by the girls (my daughters) knocking him off his roost in the dark. So that leaves my big roo (who's been weird all his life), with some sort of neurological issue. I'll likely cull him and send him to the lab, see what was wrong. I had someone sell me sick birds a few years back, and they killed half my flock, so we started over this year and have been SOOOOO careful with these babies!!! Thanks for your post!!!

Back
Top Bottom