Off the nest too much?

jaywin

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Hi all
So I have two broody Australorps sat together in nest boxes and I decided to leave them to it and see what happened - it’s been harder than the usual moving to broody coops and nursery area!
one who’s chicks are due tomorrow gets off the eggs several times a day even now when she should be in lock down - I tried to pen her in nest box as it’s big but she just pushed her way out and so I have to remove that in case she couldn’t get back! When she’s off the other one - due next week, try’s to pinch her eggs!
if all this wasn’t enough the other three hens still want to use those exact nest boxes to lay their eggs in - of course they do. One due tomorrow has two to hatch - 2 have been killed by the toing century and froing and the one due next week has 7, one killed by the carry on!
these ladies have a very good Roo in with them and I’m hoping he does his job and protects from crows when the chicks venture out but to be honest the one with two due tomorrow has me a little worried as she isn’t really making the right noises and gestures. Luckily I have a great mum due in my nursery area tomorrow and she will take the chicks if the mum turns out to be bad at it.
what a carry on trying to leave nature to it! It’s impossible really as we’ve domesticated them but I’ll see it through this time. The second one, due next week is looking good so fingers crossed but honestly I feel it will be a miracle if I end up with 9 babies between them! 🙄🥚🐣🐥🤞🏻

Hi
So the saga goes on!
the good broody - Acorn, due next week, has now been moved to a separate nest box still in the coop but with a guard to stop the others going in and out. I did it at night and she’s not far from where she was and seems settled this morning. Once hatched I plan to love her to my nursery pens with the other four hatches. I was planning to leave with the flock she’s with as I hoped the Roo would help her protect from crows etc but after all the hassle I’ve had letting nature take it’s course I don’t think I can bear it!
now Apple, the less good broody - been getting off frequently and doesn’t really show strong broody tendencies a lot of the time, has only one viable egg left. I have removed it and put it in the incubator to hatch, left her with an unfertilised egg. I’m not sure she’ll be any good as a mama, she just doesn’t seem right. So I have another excellent little mama hatching hers and I think I’ll give the lone one chick, if it hatches in the bator, to her. Fingers crossed it hatches and that Acorn gets some peace before hers are due next week.
My Orpington cross Silkie has hatched two of hers last night, a leghorn and a golden duckwing Araucana. As I breed Australorps to sell my usual chicks are black or blue so the yellow leghorn is a novelty! I’m keeping these for my own flock - oh dear says hubby, thought you had enough!! You never have enough I say! 🥚🐣🐥❤️😬

This is why I always separate my broodies for incubating and a couple of weeks after hatch. They are within sight of the flock and reintegrate well usually.

In nature, I think the hens would make nests a way apart from each other. Not in the same box!

Attachments

• 20210503_101619.jpg
    20210503_101619.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 3
This is why I always separate my broodies for incubating and a couple of weeks after hatch. They are within sight of the flock and reintegrate well usually.

In nature, I think the hens would make nests a way apart from each other. Not in the same box!
Good point!

Hi
She wasn’t in the same box just the same coop and you see people on you tube who just leave their hens to it but I suppose they aren’t too worried if they loose chicks. I will always be moving in future as I usually do. I have a whole nursery area so it’s easy enough. I can’t bear to loose chicks and I want my ladies happy x

Back
Top Bottom