Off to get my DE...

Jsto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
North Carolina
...driving 1 hour there and back for it. Is that crazy?! Couldn't beat the $21 price tag on that lovely 50lb bag! I couldn't find it anywhere around close by...everyone looked at me like I was asking for Kryptonite. I'm so excited to start using it after reading up on it for weeks. Sounds like a miracle dust! Seems strange that more places don't carry/use it considering you can use it with all your pets and even yourself.

Hope everyone is having a good Friday! I personally can't wait for the weekend to begin
he.gif

Edited because apparently I can't type!

Last edited:
Dont feel bad-I used to drive that far and paid $32 for 50#. Now, I've found someone closer that sells it cheaper, but you're right, people are fairly clueless about this stuff. My flies are so bad this year, no matter how much I replace shavings, no matter how much DE and Sweet PDZ I use.

It's a natural granular substance that is used in horse stalls for urine, to dry out the stall and make an inhospitable environment for flies to breed. It does seem to help with smell, but still.. I guess I waited too long before trying to combat the flies and they just bred too fast. Usually PDZ costs about 11-15 per 40 lb bag, but it isn't as versatile as DE-you don't put it in feed to kill bugs, etc. It's safe for the chickens to eat, though.
And you're not a pest, LOL. I know a pest when I see one. And they're everywhere this year.

Last edited:
I was planning on buying like 5 bags, but he had only 1 left. Just said to let him know a couple weeks before I'm in need and he'll order it. If I buy in bulk, even if I didn't use it myself, there are people around here who also had troubles finding it. My mother does a lot of work in the town I had to travel to in order to pick up, so I've just asked her to let me know in the future when she'll be there.

Question: how long can you store the stuff, if it's in an airtight can/bin/whatever? I would think that so long as it didn't get wet, there's not much that could happen to it.

I'm so excited! Can't wait to start dusting tomorrow! How much do I add to the feed? Or should I wait until they're older?

Jsto, it's 2% or so of the total feed. Just eyeball it. You really can't technically overdose them, although I doubt you'd want to put too much in there. I usually just put maybe a 1/4-1/2 c. in the top of a new feed bag, in addition to what I put directly in their feed, and stir it around just to keep any bugs from being able to set up housekeeping in there. You can start now, too. And as long as it stays dry, it will last for years.

Last edited:
Tink, here are some Custom Milling reps in SC. Maybe there's one near you-they sell food grade DE, called Fossil Shell Flour by Perma Guard.

Bartlett Milling - Florence, SC 843-669-6415

Bartlett Milling - Greenville, SC 866-29-8512

Craytonville Grocery - Belton, SC 864-338-7739

Buena Vista Alpacas - Aiken, SC 803-594-0788

G & G Milling -Bamberg, SC 803-267-8400

Cook's Farm Supply Cowpen, SC 864-463-4255

Cherokee Feed - Gaffney, SC 864-489-2508

Randall Gooding - Bishopville, SC 803-428-2161or 803-428-7418

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom