Off topic Just a quick question

lds_horselover2005

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 16, 2008
South Central PA
I have a situation and am wondering what everyone else thinks. I purchased some hatching eggs and hatched them. I sold 12 of the chicks for extremely cheap $1.50/chick). The person that paid for the chicks shortly after they hatched. I haven't heard from him for 3-4 weeks until today. He wants to get the chicks and pay for the feed they ate. I asked him for $6/chick now and he says that is rediculious. He said he already paid for them and shouldn't have to pay more. I said yeah that was for day old chicks not month old chicks. I feel like I should be paid more considering I put all the labor etc into the chicks. This guy is very cheap when it comes to buying stuff. What does everybody think I should do? I am just looking for an opinion if someone would give me one!

Thanks!

I agree with you! You took care of the chicks...fed them, gave them bedding, cleaned up after them, etc. I bought a 5 week old chick and paid $5.50. What you are asking is completely fair.

I'd just give him his money back and sell the chicks to someone else. He contracted to get them when they were tiny babies and he didn't follow through with his end of the deal. Just my opinion though!

I don't think that is rediculious at all. You took the time, money, and energy to take care of the chicks. If he wants them, then he can pay for them, if not keep them for a few more months and sell them as started pullets.

It depends what you agree upfront.
Did you told him he had to pick-up the chicks the next day, next week?
Why did he wait so long?
You can explain to him that you have put more in the chick than feed only. Time, energy to keep them warm enough, place to stay etc.
This is not that easy to answer.
I would think, give him the chicks, it is not worth the fight and keep in mind for the next time to tell buyers to pay and pickup the same day. Or agree to pay extra for every week the chick stay with you.
Good luck

6 dollars a chick is completely fair.. most people sell them at that price. (some at 5 for a even number..) Are your chicks good qaulity? (...Show wise meaning. you can put them in a show without getting disqaulified?) if not them.. are the parents? if so. explain to him that show qaulity chicks can be 15-20 each. some more. some less. hes probably used to going to flee markets and getting full grown chickens for 5 dollars. most people are which is why a lot of people over react if you ask even 10 or 20 dollars for a hen/rooster. what was the agreement on when he had to pick them up?.. If there wasn't. then i would give them to him for the first offer since it was my fault of not giving him a deadline or saying "Each week they stay with me. i add a dollar" or something like that lol..if he went past the deadline and doesn't want to pay the extra. forget him.... waste of time, (and money since your caring for them) sell them to someone else.

-Daniel

I have to agree with the people saying to make better arrangements next time. I f the guy is a cheap jerk, just hand over the chicks and never deal with him again. I paid welll over 6.oo for my six week old chicks and I would do it again. Sometimes you cannot reason with certain people. Move on and keep your karma good.

Back
Top Bottom