offbeat

Do ducks ever get their balance back ? If so how long does it take
Sometimes ducklings can be deficient in niacin and can be helped if given some during their first 10-12 weeks of life, most chicken feed doesn't have enough so it's always best to supplement using either plain niacin or Brewers yeast to help keep leg and neurological problem at bay, how old is your duck and how long has the balance issues been going on? What breed and what do you feed? And sometimes even an injury can cause balance problems so we need to narrow down whats going on with your duck. and
welcome-byc.gif

Do ducks ever get their balance back ? If so how long does it take
Welcome to the Duck Forum!

welcome-byc.gif

How old is your duck? If she is still young (less than 8 weeks), you may be noticing that her legs are bowed and she is stumbling because she is growing really fast and needs a niacin supplement. If she is older, she may have a leg injury, or some other type of health problem.

Can you post a picture and tell us a little more about your duck? How old is it? What do you feed it? Any history of illness or injury?

Thanks!

IM not really sure the age..I did find her left alone by slabs of concrete on a job site 3months ago. She was tiny. She was injured by a dog. Hubby rushed her to emergency pet hospital where xrays were taking. Nothing broke. They told my husband there might be soft tissue issue,and shell gain it back when she's healed...well come to find out that vet didn't know nothing about birds..shorten the story. Went to a avain vet yesterday with putting her down in mind.. The vet said please wait another 9 days to try something else. Like the correct medication and dosages..so IM hoping the hope doc saw was in my duck and not pocket book...

IM not really sure the age..I did find her left alone by slabs of concrete on a job site 3months ago. She was tiny. She was injured by a dog. Hubby rushed her to emergency pet hospital where xrays were taking. Nothing broke. They told my husband there might be soft tissue issue,and shell gain it back when she's healed...well come to find out that vet didn't know nothing about birds..shorten the story. Went to a avain vet yesterday with putting her down in mind.. The vet said please wait another 9 days to try something else. Like the correct medication and dosages..so IM hoping the hope doc saw was in my duck and not pocket book...

fl.gif
me too please keep us updated.

Good for you for taking care of this duckling! I'm glad you found a decent vet, and I hope your duck pulls through. They can be really resilient animals. Two of my ducks were mauled by stray dogs last winter, and they pulled through, despite suffering deep bites. It took about 8 weeks before they were healed and more-or-less back to normal. Best of luck!

Good for you for taking care of this duckling! I'm glad you found a decent vet, and I hope your duck pulls through. They can be really resilient animals. Two of my ducks were mauled by stray dogs last winter, and they pulled through, despite suffering deep bites. It took about 8 weeks before they were healed and more-or-less back to normal. Best of luck!
ChicagoDucks, how do you have ducks in Chicago just doesn't seem like the 2 would go together. When I see pics of Chicago it looks so huge with lots of people everywhere. I just don't think of ducks
wink.png

Last edited:
ChicagoDucks, how do you have ducks in Chicago just doesn't seem like the 2 would go together. When I see pics of Chicago it looks so huge with lots of people everywhere. I just don't think of ducks ;)

Yep!!
;-P
There are parts of the city that are like that! It's a big city, though, and lots of different kinds of neighborhoods. Our neighborhood is called Beverly, it has big oak trees, little brick houses and big yards (at least for Chicago). In our neighborhood, people ask which parish you live in, there is always parking in front of your house, and you had better wear a clean shirt when you go grocery shopping because you will always run into someone you know. Lots of our friends and neighbors keep backyard birds.

Yep!!
;-P
There are parts of the city that are like that! It's a big city, though, and lots of different kinds of neighborhoods. Our neighborhood is called Beverly, it has big oak trees, little brick houses and big yards (at least for Chicago). In our neighborhood, people ask which parish you live in, there is always parking in front of your house, and you had better wear a clean shirt when you go grocery shopping because you will always run into someone you know. Lots of our friends and neighbors keep backyard birds.

That is so cool. Sounds like a really nice neighborhood is it an old established neighborhood? That's funny about wearing a clean shirt. I have to be careful when I go to the grocery store that I don't forget to take off my "duck shoes" before I leave the house. I have forgot on occasion.
roll.png
But no one seems to notice. Well they might if I had duck poo on them.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom