Officailly a www.

Napalongtail

Longtail Longtimer
12 Years
Jan 31, 2007
NE Washington
Yea we have done it. WE have taken the plunge and are now www.napalongtails.com I'm having to have my oldest brother who is the ultimate computer nerd upload pictures to the pages tomorrow. It's just not possible at 12.2kbps. Anyways Take a look around and visit often, WE will have it finished by the first of August. YEA
big_smile.png

Looks great. The only input I would have is if you want it to look professional, don't use a picture as the background. It makes it cluttered and a bit trashy looking. A simple picture header and then text on a solid color looks much cleaner and well put together.

Like I said we are still in the process, I'm taking the constructive ideas and am open to suggestions. Thanks for looking
cool.png

Last edited:
Agreed. It looks wonderful, but needs to be more professional. Plain background, breed pictures and prices together, contact info, etc. Congrats and good luck!

You might try lightening the background pics and dropping the saturation down just a bit. And possibly even add a slightly opaque box behind the text.

Here's one I did http://pitbullsintruth.blogspot.com/ You can see how I lightened the image. Of course, now that I have a wide monitor it doubles my background image and places the text in between the two
tongue.png
But on a normal monitor the text falls into the lightened area in the center of the image.

Do you mind if I play around with the image a bit? I have an idea.... those are very inspiring birds
smile.png

Last edited:
Yes I too am hoping to create more of a watermark back ground with the home page. It's all personal preference though to go plain page or not. I had no choice but to ask for help my connection here in my rural location is just too slow for me to do much editting. 1 page at a time.... Thanks for the interest and the feed back. J.J.

Since you asked for critique...
wink.png

Overall, it's a great start. The CONTENT is good; it's very informative. A lot of times, websites lack good content. If you want a more professional-LOOKING site, though, there are some areas you could work on.

I would reduce the text size and not use italics. I think a solid-color background with pictures included near the paragraphs would look more professional. Like another person, I like the idea of a sidebar for navigation. You could eventually develop your own logo for your site/farm/breeding program to use on there, too.

Here's a good site for trying out various web color schemes:
http://www.visibone.com/colorlab/

If you're up for it...

I tried looking at your page source code to see if I could find anything where I would be able to make suggestions, but it looks like you're using a template or editing program rather than writing your own HTML/CSS?

You'll learn more about making websites if you learn to use HTML and CSS yourself. (It's not that difficult once you run through a few online tutorials. If you can post pictures on BYC, you can figure out how to write your own source code).

I use a text editor for Mac called Web Minimalist to help me write HTML and CSS. It clues me in when tags aren't closed, etc., and gives me previews so that I can look for problems before I stick something online. It's great for people like me who aren't computer science majors who wanted to learn to write web pages from scratch. If you use Windows, you can use something like the Text Editor (Notepad) to write HTML, but it won't give you a preview like Web Minimalist does. There are other free text editing programs out there for doing web pages that you can find on sites like VersionTracker.com.

http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/011/firstcss This is a great site to teach you how to make simple CSS navigation.

http://www.echoecho.com/school.htm Good HTML tutorials and sample code.

Quote:
Congrats!! Do you get 12.2 everytime you dial up? Lately, I have been getting 4.8 all the way up to my normal 44.0 kbps. If it is lower than 42.6 then I redial. We have slow dial up and nothing else is available to us through the phone company where we live and satellite is out of our budget. But we still get charged more than most high speeds! I was just wondering if yours was ever more than 12.2 and I assume it is dial up?

Back
Top Bottom