Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Pics
I candled eggs today (day 9) and noticed one of my eggs has a thin hairline crack in the shell. Any tips how to fix? 5 eggs came broken in my shipment, and I didn’t think to candle before setting to check for cracks. Any help is appreciated. I don’t want to lose this egg. I paid for 6 eggs, the sender was only able to collect 5, and then 1 got damaged in transit. If this one goes, I only have 3 left :(
I first used beeswax, those eggs didn't hatch.
I then went to nail polish. If not given a significant amount of time for it to dry, the egg will stick to the turner. None of those eggs hatched.
Then I tried new skin liquid bandage. The advantages are that it dries faster than nail polish and it contains antiseptic properties. I've had great success with it. I once dropped an egg when candling and it looked like Humpty Dumpty with a network of cracks over 60% of the egg. It was basically shattered. I put about 3 layers of new skin on it over the course of a couple days. I was worried it wouldn't be able to break through all that bandage. I woke up on hatch day and the chick was already out.
Interestingly, that egg was only on day 7 when I dropped it onto a hardwood floor.

Last edited:
I then went to nail polish. If not given a significant amount of time for it to dry, the egg will stick to the turner. None of those eggs hatched.
Then I tried new skin liquid bandage. The advantages are that it dries faster than nail polish and it contains antiseptic properties. I've had great success with it. I once dropped an egg when candling and it looked like Humpty Dumpty with a network of cracks over 60% of the egg. It was basically shattered. I put about 3 layers of new skin on it over the course of a couple days. I was worried it wouldn't be able to break through all that bandage. I woke up on hatch day and the chick was already out.
This is amazing! Thank you so much. Could I get that at Rite Aid?

day 19 one pip and green has one in air cell...the others have not been checked.
1egc.PNG

gree.PNG

This is so awesome! I have liquid band aid at home already, because I apparently have a high pain tolerance (the kids thought I was trying to torture/murder them the first time I put it on them, the second time they ran and hid), and it only gets used by me. I'll have another use for it now!

I need to get some liquid bandage and try it out!

I as always defer to the people that have done this many more times than I have, but I'm not seeing any blood vessels or vascular network and I would be worried about that. I might be off base, I am incubating some very easy eggs (white eggs), but it would seem like you would be able to see those by now? Here is one of my day 14 eggs, but like I said, it's white so it is really easy to see things in it.
IMG_5556.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom