Ended Official BYC 12th Annual 2021 New Year's Day Hatch-Along! - Meet My Fur Baby Contest!

No Boston Terriers?! I don't drink coffee and I don't know of anybody who does, so I guess no one gets to see my super adorable little Bossy Terrier! :plbb

Good to see people adopting rescues or buying from reputable breeders, though.

I love adopting/rescuing dogs from the pound. Unfortunately, over here 99% are part pitbul and I think those dogs are ugly (personal opinion), I don’t care about their bad rep, it’s the looks I care about then personality.
Same! I got tired of seeing pitbulls and pit mixes when I was looking through the dogs available for adoption in my area. Funny thing is, though, we think we ended up adopting a pit mix without realizing it. At least she doesn't have too many pitbull features!

No Boston Terriers?! I don't drink coffee and I don't know of anybody who does, so I guess no one gets to see my super adorable little Bossy Terrier! :plbb

Good to see people adopting rescues or buying from reputable breeders, though.

Awww, our neighbors have 2 bostons! And a friend of mine loves them! They just don't have chickens! I definitely highly recommend a reputable breeder. The differences are night and day! I've got a lot of dogs from shelters, or rescued off the street when I was a kid...and they always had lots of issues. So I wanted to try something different as an adult. Plus I have specific breeds I adore. So glad we got a great dane. Even not being from the same breeders...ours have very similar tendencies. They are the most loving dogs I've ever met.

I have a dog name honey
Where did you get your dog/cat? She was born in my house along with her sister that my mom owns
How old is your dog/cat? My dog was born November 7th 2011
Does your dog/cat know any tricks? Yes can herd my chickens when roaming.
What breed is your dog/cat? A cavalier king charles spaniel
20201229_141522.jpg

I definitely highly recommend a reputable breeder. The differences are night and day! I've got a lot of dogs from shelters, or rescued off the street when I was a kid...and they always had lots of issues.
Yes, I agree. There is definitely a greater risk of ending up with a sickly dog when adopting a rescue vs buying from a good breeder. But I guess if you don't have that kind of money, then adopting from a good rescue organization is the next best thing you can do for the animals.

Yes, I agree. There is definitely a greater risk of ending up with a sickly dog when adopting a rescue vs buying from a good breeder. But I guess if you don't have that kind of money, then adopting from a good rescue organization is the next best thing you can do for the animals.
I didn't necessarily mean sickly dogs. Reputable breeders test for genetic issues that can arise in breeds. Hip dysplasia is huge in so many dogs. So this is super important. As well as cardiac issues. Reputable breeders work their hardest to keep all that out of their lines period. They will not breed a dog they know that carries something that could be bad for a litter. My breeder specifically avoided a certain Dane that is in everyone's lines because he carries DM (
Degenerative Myelopathy) and I think is aggressive as well.
In the long run, a shelter dog can cost you thousands. There are no guarantees. You may get lucky and not end up with any crazy issues...but it's like rolling a dice. Absolutely nothing wrong with either choice. I choose a more certain path for my needs and wants. A reputable breeder puts time and effort into their lines to prevent this. And is also willing to refund you if something came up, or replace puppies etc. They guarantee their lines. They also offer lifetime breeder support. This is why the costs are much higher. I pay for all the hard work she puts into her lines, dogs, research. And breeding alone is not cheap by any means.

3rd entry
This is our youngest guardian dog ZIP. We found him on craigslist, he is Australien Shepherd/Pitbull mix. He is now about 3 years old.
Zip turned out to be an accurate name as he can sprint faster than any dog we have ever had.
He lives to chase off chicken eating varments.
I want to show 2 pictures of him but will post the second photo separately.
This was Zip at about 2 months.
Zipper - NC 008.JPG

Back
Top Bottom