Ended Official BYC 2022 Summer Fair—Favorite Fair Memories

This one is EASY.

I was at the Alameda County Fair - a single mom with my son (2 at the time) in a stroller. My best friend and her little niece (I think she was 6) were with us. We decided to go on the kiddie ferris wheel. Best friend says, "Hey! It's my manager from work! Let's see if we can cut in line!"

Sure enough, her manager was there in line with for the same ferris wheel with his daughter (5).

She introduced us. We were engaged 2 weeks later. We've now been married for 25 years.

(I know the contest is over, but I had to share)

Last edited:
This one is EASY.

I was at the Alameda County Fair - a single mom with my son (2 at the time) in a stroller. My best friend and her little niece (I think she was 6) were with us. We decided to go on the kiddie ferris wheel. Best friend says, "Hey! It's my manager from work! Let's see if we can cut in line!"

Sure enough, her manager was there in line with for the same ferris wheel with his daughter (5).

She introduced us. We were engaged 2 weeks later. We've now been married for 25 years.

(I know the contest is over, but I had to share)
What a lovely story! And the contest is not over, it ends on 8/21/2022!

Last edited:
When I was 3 yrs old I talked incessantly about birds, chickens, pigeons, farms, horses, goats, etc. My parents couldn't understand it, we lived in suburbia & had only seen such animals & places on our tiny, old TV that only got 3 stations. I asked them daily, when can we go visit some chickens & horses. When my dad was woodworking I'd be set up on a drop cloth, grab a hammer, nails & Elmer's wood glue & make bird houses from dad's scrap wood. They figured I'd grow out of it. When I was 7 yrs old, 2nd grade, we had a school bus field trip to a real farm! I was the most excited kid there & didn't want to leave. I finally got to pet fuzzy chicks & feed a draft horse an apple. I can still recall that gentle giant's soft, velvety muzzle & how sweet he was. I was thrilled when the chickens followed me & when the gorgeous rooster crowed. I was hooked! I would ask everyone, everywhere I went, do they know where I can visit some chickens & horses...it was funny, I'd ask everyone in lines when with my parents at grocery stores, when we got gas at gas stations, with dad at the lumber yard, if we got a pizza or even at school & church. Everyone, everywhere I went, I talked about chickens & horses. 😆 I also would draw pretty good, so you know what I drew, yup, birds, horses, any animals with feathers, fur or scales. Then someone told me, yes, there's a State Fair, every year, where you can see All kinds of farm animals. We went & I thought it was the Best place on earth! I can still recall vividly, petting chickens, pigeons, goats, sheep, horses & a beautiful Sebastopol goose with curly feathers & blue eyes. To this day, wherever I go, I gravitate to animals, feeding Swans while on a bsns trip at a hotel, holding Quail at a B&B, hanging out with Peacocks in HI & feeding apples to wild burrows in AZ. The Fair was such a wonderful experience, to see such a wide collection of a variety of animals all in one place. I enjoy talking to the exhibitors about their animals, too, and always compliment their efforts. A State Fair I visited in Maryland had a barrel racing & humorous cowboy show. Another Fair had the Budweiser Clydesdales visiting. Every Fair is a memory I cherish.

I love the County Fair in my hometown. My church runs the ice cream booth, so it’s always fun to work the ice cream booth and see people come and go.

My funniest memory of the County dark is this: My hometown is kind of a small town, and it’s still pretty rural, so there are a lot of farm, FFA, 4-H kids, and the like. The county fair is always the first week of school, so a lot of students are obviously absent, but you know exactly where they are. Those of us unlucky few who had no reason to miss school were always in charge of telling teachers that classmates wouldn’t be in school because they were showing a horse, cow, pig, etc. It’s still like that today.

I love the County Fair in my hometown. My church runs the ice cream booth, so it’s always fun to work the ice cream booth and see people come and go.

My funniest memory of the County dark is this: My hometown is kind of a small town, and it’s still pretty rural, so there are a lot of farm, FFA, 4-H kids, and the like. The county fair is always the first week of school, so a lot of students are obviously absent, but you know exactly where they are. Those of us unlucky few who had no reason to miss school were always in charge of telling teachers that classmates wouldn’t be in school because they were showing a horse, cow, pig, etc. It’s still like that today.
My sweetheart was telling me when he grew up in rural Maine, school would start end of Aug, for about 3 weeks, then the elementary & high school actually closed for 3 weeks, so the kids could all help during harvesting.

My favorite memory was when I went to the fair with my grandmother. We went through the Funhouse, and everything was fine...until we had to go through the revolving tunnel at the end to exit. I made it through, but my grandmother did not. She tumbled around and around like so much laundry in the dryer, until the guy who ran the ride had to shut it down and rescue her. I laughed so hard I couldn't see - and she was not hurt....just really embarrassed, because a crowd had gathered to watch.

Going to county fairs is one of the summer highlights here in the mid west. My favorite fair is held in Girard KS. The 4H makes ice cream each year and sells it for $1 a cup. They always have 4 flavors and the kids run the stand and their dads help with the 2 machines, which run all day long during fair days. 327BBB44-FC06-40BD-80BC-69C5699EEC0D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom