Ended Official BYC 2023 Summer Fair Contest—Equine Show Ring

This is our Clydesdale/Percheron cross mare Lydia and she has the Clydesdale feet (as big as a dinner plate)!. She was a brood mare that was rescued from the kill pen. She was a difficult horse to tame (mean as all get out) tipping the scales at 1700 pounds and standing 16.2 hands. She kept being bounced from farm to farm when she became too difficult for her owners. We were fortunate enough to become students of a nearby farm that had her for several years. We leased her and my daughter took lessons on her. Again, she was going to be sent to another farm because she was difficult to work with. We made the decision to purchase her and see if she could be rehabilitated. After many hours, many treats, many punishments, many minor incidents and many frustrating times, Lydia is calmer and happy. A couple years later we purchased a house with some land, built a barn and built paddocks so that Lids could spend her life with us and not worry about anything except how many hours she could sleep in one day! She is loyal and calmer now but she is still protective. Recently she stomped a ground hog to death that dared to enter her paddock. At 26 years old we are making her as happy as we can so that her golden years are as peaceful and pain free as possible.

This picture is from several years ago when she won first in her division at the local equestrian club. For many years at this club she was discounted because she was a Draft. One judge even mentioned to us that she would always be at the bottom of the pile because she was a Draft and they shouldn't be in Dressage. Well Lydia proved them wrong this day!

View attachment 3606575

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of our mare Lydia. She had stopped eating and drinking over the weekend and we, along with the input of our vet, made the decision to send her over the rainbow. She went peacefully with all of us around her and her final moments were with her head in my daughter's lap. The last thing she saw was all of us supporting her and the last thing she heard was my daughter telling her goodbye. She is greatly missed and we were lucky to have her for 10 special years.

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of our mare Lydia. She had stopped eating and drinking over the weekend and we, along with the input of our vet, made the decision to send her over the rainbow. She went peacefully with all of us around her and her final moments were with her head in my daughter's lap. The last thing she saw was all of us supporting her and the last thing she heard was my daughter telling her goodbye. She is greatly missed and we were lucky to have her for 10 special years.
Oh gosh, I am so sorry. :hugs

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs

I’m very sorry to hear that :hugs

Back
Top Bottom