Ended Official BYC Contest: Waterers & Feeders - WINNER ANNOUNCED

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-watering-system-for-less-than-40

3 NH reds posted
A HEATING SETUP that SHOULD work with this design.
A Little Giant Fountain pump ( 10 watts )
Place in the tank. Come out where the flush handle is. Plumb to the far end of the 3/4" PVC. ( AFTER THE LAST NIPPLE )
Farmers Inovators Floating Water Heater ( 1250 watt )
Install in tank.
I am in FL and realy don't know but this sounds very promicing.

Last edited:
We won't get the "most creative" award. Our chickens eat and drink from a gravity feeder and waterer (is that a word?) that we got from Costco. The water thing gets very nasty sometimes in the summer. I refill the water thing every 2-3 days in summer and longer in the winter. The feeder is simpler and can be refilled every 2 weeks, maybe longer. Not creative, but it works, and is definatly a good option for people who don't enjoy building things.

I've added some updates to the page about my $21 heated water dish. I did some design improvements (plastic base instead of metal) and so far it's working great. Of course, it hasn't gotten cold here yet, maybe 15 degrees at night the past few days, but the real cold weather should be coming soon.

sorry to quote myself but i thought this was important, my nipple waterer has worked very well this winter and we have had our fair share of cold snaps here in New Hampshire. i know thats a big reason why people don't use these waterers, but so far seems as if i have solved that problem. for details and to see the updates go the the link above and let me know what you think, thanks

Back
Top Bottom