Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Discussion in 'Sponsored Content, Contests, and Giveaways' started by BYC Project Manager, Oct 4, 2012.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    You can see her lil chicken wings! LOL!! I imagine the frizzles are gonna get REALLY good!

Heres another of my E.E. Darla. Still waiting on her to lose that beard and then we will REALLY be molting!

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

They wouldn't go out in the snow anyway :p

I had a molting chicken in January here in Atlantic Canada - she did just fine, and even continued to lay!

1 person likes this.
  3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada

We dont usually get snow until december and the girls are usually done motling by then but some are not and they seem to go enjoy the day like everyone else and then snuggle up tight at night. Theyre dinosaurs!

Plus I have the showgirls who are always half naked and i do worry about them every day in the winter but they never seem to skip a beat diggin around in the snow :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  4. Zigapor

Zigapor In the Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    ON
    cool. I figured in nature they would be sorted out to molt before the cold weather kicks in, but today is kinda one of those freak days where winter came early, lol, wasn't sure how they'd react to that! good to know they would be fine :)

5. ChickadeeRanch

ChickadeeRanch Chirping

Sep 13, 2012
    I'm sorry my chickens are 3 and they have never molted!!

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Some chickens dont go through as rough of molts as others. Some molt and regrow fast enough that it is not noticable, but trust me, after three years they have molted, lol. If they hadnt their feathers would be sun bleached and ragged!

7. Melabella

Melabella Crowing

Jun 2, 2011
    Oh MY WORD! I think the contest may be over! Look at that little butt! HA HA HA!

Does anyone need to cover their birds? 10 weeks is a long time!
    MB

8. This is my second year, but my first adult moult. Of my older birds that have started moulting, theirs were gradual too. So far neither of my boys have started moulting yet though. (I do have some pictures of my older ones when they were getting adult feathers. Pretty funny stuff too!)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. ChicknBaron

ChicknBaron Chirping

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Oh Dear! this is just frightening! i thought my chickens got ugly, but THESE... wow... all i can say is wow...

10. sahagi

sahagi Chirping

Sep 25, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Here is Lala, our Auracana, submitted for the "all other breeds" category. Not the ugliest molt, surely, but I got a kick out of her very expressive single tail feather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: