Official BYC introduction

DiYMama540

Crossing the Road
Jun 25, 2019
SW VA
My Coop
My Coop
Somehow I missed officially introducing myself, so here it is...:frow

My name is Jessi, and I live in the beautiful mountains of SW Virginia, actually the New River Valley if you want to get specific. I'm married to who I believe is my soulmate! My husband Kenny is a professional firefighter/paramedic, and we run a landscape business on the side. Keeps us very busy this time of year usually, however our current drought has not helped!

We have 3 boys, the 2 oldest are from my husband's previous marriage but I love and care for them just the same! The boys are ages 14, 12, and 8. They've all really surprised me with how helpful and attentive they've been to our backyard flock!

Currently our yard is home to 4 chickens (2 olive eggers, 2 california whites), 2 ducks (KC Drake & Runner hen), and last but not least, 2 geese (Pomeranian goose, Cotton patch gander). We also have 2 dogs and 1 cat! I'm proud to say a lot of our animals are rescues, which remains a cause very near and dear to my heart!

I've learned so much, and gotten so much guidance during my time here at BYC! I look to be around stalking your threads for a long time! I truly appreciate you guys welcoming me with open wings to your amazing flock!
:highfive::hugs

Last edited:
Thank you guys...I figured it was probably time to formally introduce myself.
And yes @DobieLover you would be shocked at some of the conditions my sweet babies came from, amazes me how well behaved and adapted they've become after such rocky starts! Rescues truly appreciate a good home!
Very unfortunately, I would not be shocked because I've had them myself. The two worst were my two red Doberman females. The first had every internal parasitic worm except heartworm, had such a terrible smell to her and her coat was awful; dry, brittle and sparse.
My second, the red girl in my avvy, ultimately weighed in at a dainty 65# after I rehabbed her. When she was trapped running stray, she only weighed 40# and looked near death. When I got her, her head looked huge on her boney body. Ironically, she ate from my hand so gently she never even touched my skin!

Last edited:
I will never understand how some people can watch these animals suffer right before their very eyes every day....kudos to you and those beautiful dobies!!!
Kinda off topic but have you seen the newly released show on Netflix called For the Bird?

It's crazy to see how the lady can't see how bad her situation is/sick her birds are. Some people are blind.

Back
Top Bottom