Ended Official BYC Mini-Contest—What's Your Hobby?

Entry 1 is Nature photography. I take lots of pictures while I am out camping and traveling. I really enjoy it because it saves me little memories from every trip. I would say I am a amateur at photography. I don't make any money from my photography though the dream is to someday be able to make some money with my photography.

You have some terrific photos!

Time is running out so get your entries in quickly!

clock cuckoo gif 3.gif

This contest will close tomorrow at 11:59pm Pacific time.

• I’m a genealogist I turned my beloved go by Into a women own business :bun
  • I graduated from Brigham Young University Idaho In 2020 with my associates in family history (genealogy)
  • I also have a certificate for American research
  • I do a lot of volunteer work for my local genealogy society
  • I’m in the process of becoming a Board Certified Genealogist
  • I write and make and plan online Genealogy courses for children in china and Korea
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

• I graduated from Brigham Young University Idaho In 2020 with my associates in family history (genealogy)
  • I write and make and plan online Genealogy courses for children in china and Korea

What interesting work that must be!

congratulations00.gif

@Paz, @Allsfairinloveandbugs, @Gearhead846, @theoldchick, @Silkie Princess, @Eagle343, @gimmie birdies, @The Tiny Homestead, @shabby chic-hens, @Bartonsfinest

All 54 entries were entered into a spreadsheet in the order they were posted and given a number. To pick the winners, the random number generator was used.

1670453661315-png.png

@Paz - Mushroom Hunting and Growing
5A570718-98CF-4284-A1D6-77D8CA247087.jpeg

•I love mushroom hunting and growing because mushrooms are exciting and are good for cooking, it’s also an extremely sport, because there’s always the slight chance one ends up dying.
•I do the hobby during autumn and winter. Hunting the mushrooms in the fields and forests near my house, and growing them on the lawn or in boxes.
•Sometimes I would miss going to work because I think it’s a better idea to go mushroom hunting.
•I think I’m an adept in my hobby.
•I’m not lucky enough to make it my business, but maybe one day if I become an expert mushroom grower.
•I really like mushrooms and am even kind of an addict. If you ever visit the area, I welcome you to enjoy the mushrooms with me.
The one in the picture is called agaricus brasiliensis.

@Allsfairinloveandbugs - Fossil-Hunting
Next to watching chicken tv, my second favorite hobby for the past several years has been fossil-hunting. (Still a distant second to watching chicken tv.😁) Hunting for fossils is a true treasure hunt, and it's especially awesome to find a rare fossil (i.e. one I don't have yet) as well as gigantic specimens representing their species. The ultimate find is an intact fossil species in matrix, but it's rare to find those since major floods usually wash bones away. I usually only go hunting after major floods, since that is the best time to find the best fossils before someone else spies and scoops them up. It's very tranquil down on a river or creek bed hearing nothing but streaming water and various birdsong while I hunt. I Could sell the fossils if I wanted to, but I prefer to keep them for my own enjoyment. One day when I leave this good earth, someone else can possess and enjoy my finds.😊
20210726_083708.jpg

20220807_102447~2.jpg

20220807_102331~2.jpg

20220807_102459~2.jpg

20210726_084006.jpg

20210726_084117.jpg

20210726_084620.jpg

20210719_084500.jpg

Jaw,portion and teeth of a nearly intact large mosasaur found in matrix.
IMG_20150626_143814~2.jpg

One vertebra of thirty-eight in matrix from same mosasaur
IMG_20150626_143630~2.jpg

@Gearhead846 - Custom Diecasts
I do custom diecasts, and collect them too

Spoiler: Photo dump
Spoiler: Tags for some people who might be interested

@theoldchick - Latch Hooking
During Covid I took up Latch hooking. It's a great way to keep fingers busy. Though I'm not considered an expert by any means, I have made 50 rugs in the last two years. There is not much of a public demand for them so I don't make money off them.
DSCN6420.JPG

DSCN6502.JPG

DSCN6634.JPG

DSCN6343.JPG

@Silkie Princess - Horses
8B03D3B2-19B6-4DCE-AEEF-F04974EF2813.jpeg

A3E1755E-3279-4D5D-A3DC-A37A61FC35C4.jpeg

EA77DA28-9B92-4574-AD1A-37EEA6E20833.jpeg

@Eagle343 - Beekeeping
***Beekeeping***
  • What is it that you love about this hobby?
Working in the outdoors.

• When do you do the Hobby?
From Early spring to late fall

• What sacrifices do you make to be able to practice your hobby?
Can be back breaking work where if you make a mistake the bees will let you know,

• Are you an amateur? An adept? An expert?
Early Journeyman

• Are you lucky enough that this hobby is part of your job/income?
During college It was a decent job, earned some side funds.
1668554235662.png

1668554284480.png

1668554301685.png

@gimmie birdies - Producing Gray Egg Layers
glossa.PNG

My gray egg layer is laying again! My hobby will be making more gray egg laying frizzles.

@The Tiny Homestead - Working on Old Sewing Machines
I have numerous hobbies. I will try to post several. One is working on old sewing machines. There is such a history to them, and often stories about the people who used them.
My mom mostly sewed by hand. My grandmother had a machine, a White, which I now have. She used to sew Barbie doll clothes for my sisters at Christmas time. Growing up, a neighbor, Antdionette, who lived across the street raised her kids working as a seamstress doing alterations for the local Penny's store.
I love the really old Singer machines, but there are so many other wonderful brands.
The ones that were all metal are the best. They will literally run forever when properly cared for, and are fairly easy to work on. The one in the photo is my go to machine. It's a Singer 306K made in Scotland around 1954. The pitfall with working on sewing machines is that you want to save every one from the sewing machine boneyard. I give away some of the ones I fix. One of the exciting things is discovering discarded machines. I once found a Singer 201-2 in a cabinet, by a dumpster and carried it a few blocks to get it home. I find machines left curbside, and even sometimes left on my front step.
There's something about the purr of a well oiled sewing machine producing nice even stitches, that I just can't resist.
1668968091522445833046.jpg

@shabby chic-hens - making AGSMs (American Girl Doll Stopmotion).
My hobby is making AGSMs. They are a kind of stop motion that you do with dolls. I upload my videos onto YouTube when I finish them. Here is a picture of my usual setup .
59F51C7B-205E-4450-8901-6A43DAECB95B.jpeg

@Bartonsfinest - Genealogy
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@Paz, @Allsfairinloveandbugs, @Gearhead846, @theoldchick, @Silkie Princess, @Eagle343, @gimmie birdies, @The Tiny Homestead, @shabby chic-hens, @Bartonsfinest, I will send you instructions on how to claim your prizes momentarily!
thank you.png

A HUGE THANK YOU to all who participated. This contest wouldn't have been possible without all of your entries!!!! :bow:clap
Great job, everyone, this was so much fun!! :wee

And THANK YOU to our BYC Sponsors (click to view & support them)

congratulations00.gif

@Paz, @Allsfairinloveandbugs, @Gearhead846, @theoldchick, @Silkie Princess, @Eagle343, @gimmie birdies, @The Tiny Homestead, @shabby chic-hens, @Bartonsfinest

All 54 entries were entered into a spreadsheet in the order they were posted and given a number. To pick the winners, the random number generator was used.
hobby_2.pnghobby_5.pnghobby_7.pnghobby_27.pnghobby_33.png
hobby_37.pnghobby_41.pnghobby_42.pnghobby_52.pnghobby_54.png

1670453661315.png

@Paz - Mushroom Hunting and Growing

@Allsfairinloveandbugs - Fossil-Hunting

@Gearhead846 - Custom Diecasts

@theoldchick - Latch Hooking

@Silkie Princess - Horses

@Eagle343 - Beekeeping

@gimmie birdies - Producing Gray Egg Layers

@The Tiny Homestead - Working on Old Sewing Machines

@shabby chic-hens - making AGSMs (American Girl Doll Stopmotion).

@Bartonsfinest - Genealogy

@Paz, @Allsfairinloveandbugs, @Gearhead846, @theoldchick, @Silkie Princess, @Eagle343, @gimmie birdies, @The Tiny Homestead, @shabby chic-hens, @Bartonsfinest, I will send you instructions on how to claim your prizes momentarily!
thank you.png

A HUGE THANK YOU to all who participated. This contest wouldn't have been possible without all of your entries!!!! :bow:clap
Great job, everyone, this was so much fun!! :wee

And THANK YOU to our BYC Sponsors (click to view & support them)
Congratulations y'all!

Back
Top Bottom