Ended Official BYC Mini-contest - Tell us your funniest chicken story and win!

One of my three week old chicks loves to perch on my phone and watch what I'm doing. Sometime her foot slips and she clicks something random. She's getting a little big now, but still will sit on my arm and watch.

So I was playing this one app 'Trivia Crack', and couldn't figure out the answer. With 10 seconds left, the chick pecks the screen. I tapped where she pecked, and the answer was correct! When she does tap my phone when I'm on that app, the answer is not always correct :lau.

Last edited:
New Years Eve...

I was so excited to show our friends our first filled carton of eggs from our mixed flock of brown egg laying hens; Bantam eggs included...

One of my friends brought her pregnant daughter this year who was in a conversation earlier with my husband about the London bridge. He mentioned that many people had died when they disassembled it. Her response was "Wow, you'd they they would have gotten the people off the bridge before they took it down. We all rolled over laughing, but the conversation in the kitchen over the eggs took the cake...

My friend took a look at my hens first eggs, and asked if the eggs would get bigger as the chickens get older. My answer was "Yes". Very impressed with the eggs... her astonished daughter very seriously and in amazement said "Wow! So, these eggs will get bigger? Will they continue to grow in the refridgertor?" Needless to say she once again had us rolling with laughter (The sad thing is that she wasn't joking... She was very serious).

Last edited:
It was my first time having newly hatched chicks and I figured I would wait a few weeks until introducing them to my dog Stella. Stella saw the 10 baby chicks through the outside window and knew she had to meet them. so that night, I put Stella in her crate just in case she wanted to pay the chicks a visit. in the middle of the night I heard a scratching sound coming from the chick brooder!! I ran out of my room to see what was wrong.....Stella had gotten out of her cage, jumped over the brooder wall, and taught the chicks to dig! I decided to watch just in case anything went wrong, with in minutes Stella was sleeping with chicks all over her:) I wish I would have saved the picture:(

My friend was in town and had hatched two roosters, so one of my friends who has a rooster not doing his job would take one of the roosters. I picked him up and wasn't going to see my friend the next day, so i set him up in my spare bathroom. At 12 2 and 7am he started crowing. I got him settled down and he stayed the day in the bathroom, thankfully he only climbed on the sink. The next night he started to crow at 4am. I told my husband i had a rooster in the bathroom, and he just looks at me like its the most normal thing in the world....

We have only had our "Girls" for about 6 months. In early November our son babysat while we went out of town. We received a phone call and he said one of our hens was out of the pen. We thought that he hadn't closed the gate good. A few days later my husband was backing his truck out of the garage when he heard a thud on the roof. As he stopped to his surprise a hen slid down the windshield onto the hood of the truck. Unharmed she was put back in the coop. I received a phone call telling me "my chickens were flying the coop". We then figured out how the other hen got out and they all got flight feathers clipped on one side. Needless to say no one else has gotten out unless we let them out!!
T;)

If you want to direct a reply to a specific post, then choose that post, hit the llittle "quote" button, and the post you are commenting on will appear in the reply box. Just type your response and hit "submit." The quoted post and your reply will appear like magic. (At least it seemed like magic to me the first time I did it sucessfully!
idunno.gif
) What really threw me was learning to quote more than one post at a time - until someone pointed out the little word "Multi". Oh, so I just click "multi" on all the posts I want to comment on and then hit "quote" when I come to the last one? Gee, I can do that!

Road Runner, BR, laid an egg after dark.

She has always set the nest longer than any of the others when laying her eggs and probably could set a world record.

One day last spring when she was just at a year old, she entered a nest box at dusk, just minutes before the rest of the flock went to roost. Through the help of my coop camera I was able to witness her coming out of the nest about 2 hours after sundown. I took a flashlight to see what was going on and yes, she had laid a late egg. The funniest action was watching her walk through the coop, down the ramp into the run and discover all was dark and no others of the flock were there. She was quite upset to find everyone gone and that she had missed treat time! I had to shine my flashlight through the coop window so she could get up the ramp into the coop and mount a roost. And then all was well.

Since that day, she has never laid an egg after dark and certainly has never missed treat time. But she still can lay quite late in the day. Whenever she is laying late afternoon, flock members take turns going into the coop to try to hurry her up because they know I don't bring treats until all have laid for the day.

I have a runt pullet living in my house right now. (she doesn't like -30 weather haha) Yesterday I gave my dogs a piece of sandwich as an atta boy. She crawled under the German Shepherd and stole a piece of his sandwich. Then she ever so bravely started eating it right under his belly. He would never let the other dog do that, but he lets this little pullet walk all over him and snatch food right under his nose. She's one lucky bird.

Last edited:
Not too long ago, I was out in the yard working when I noticed our neighbor Don trying to shoo a chicken out of his driveway. Now, Don's a great neighbor, and we've told him more than once that he shouldn't feel bad about chasing chickens out of his yard if he wants to, so I wasn't bothered to see him clapping his hands and hollering at one of my chickens... Problem was, the chicken wasn't bothered, either! Don kept clapping and waving his arms and shouting, getting closer and closer to the daft little bird, but it just wouldn't move. Finally, they were toe to toe, Don with his hands on his hips in bewilderment, and the chicken staring up at him nonplussed, as if trying to figure out what this silly human wanted from it. It was about this time I realized which chicken was giving him grief, and I started calling out to it by name.

"David!" The chicken's head whipped around. "David! C'mere, boy!" The chicken jumped up and ran towards me, climbing into my arms as I scooped him up and talking to me excitedly. Don, already bemused by the chicken's behavior before, was now downright gobsmacked. As he watched me talk to and cuddle a chicken that comes when he's called, all Don could say was, "Y'got them chickens spoilt rotten."

XD

David Crowie

Back
Top Bottom