Official BYC Poll - At what age did your hen(s) start laying?

How old was your hen(s) when they started laying?

• Total voters

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
A question that comes up frequently on the forum is "When will my hen(s) start laying?" The answer depends on so many factors, such as breed, feed etc. We decided to get an idea of what to expect and when from the different breeds by asking you all to share your experiences.

Please vote by letting us know your hen(s)' age when they started laying and reply to the thread and let us know what breed(s) they are.

A question that comes up frequently on the forum is "When will my hen(s) start laying?" The answer depends on so many factors, such as breed, feed etc. We decided to get an idea of what to expect and when from the different breeds by asking you all to share your experiences.

Please vote by letting us know your hen(s)' age when they started laying and reply to the thread and let us know what breed(s) they are.

I have 12 RIR pullets who are just coming into lay. I'm supplementing light because we're on single income due to me having health issues and the extra egg sales help pay for their keep.

I have had a difficult time identifying if indeed all 12 are laying, but I know at least 9 are because I got 9 eggs yesterday :) New to chickens so it was a bit hard to tell by vent check because to me they all look rather similar, but I'm a novice :)

So they varied at POL, with my first layer starting at 21 weeks 2 days and I'm getting more and more eggs each day. But I'd say around 23 weeks would be a good indicator because they were 23 weeks on Tuesday and I got 9 eggs the next day :)

Mine are all EE's, I hatch my own, I get varied start times from 4 months to 1 YO, anywhere in that time frame. This years young girls, only 1 is laying at 5 MO, a couple more are getting close.

I clicked them all...but don't really keep that close track anymore.
I do know they've hit every week listed.
Too many pullets now, all OE's not different enough(both birds and eggs) to track.

I did once track 6 birds and their egg weights for 10 months,
to see how long it took for them to come 'up to weight',
once I knew who laid which egg it was pretty easy
as each egg was unique enough to tell apart at a glance.

Number by name is age in weeks that they started laying.
upload_2018-10-19_8-0-2.png

Back
Top Bottom