Official BYC Poll: Crumbles, Mash, or Pellets?

Which feed type do you use?

• Crumbles

Votes: 344 57.6%
  • Mash

Votes: 56 9.4%
  • Pellets

Votes: 290 48.6%
  • Other

Votes: 71 11.9%

• Total voters
I like pellets - less mess, less clumping when it 98+% humidity out here, less waste, less chances of getting stuck in the gravity feeders I built (but am not thrilled with).

and crumble for my littlest littles.

Of course, I have a mixed flock, and prefer to feed All Flock for that reason, so I'm buying whichever form the local TSC has in stock. Nutrena has the pellet, my preference, though its more expensive (40# bag v 50#). Some other brand at the same price point is the crumble, in the larger bag.

I feed the layer pellets, cracked corn and rolled oats, barley, and wheat ad lib. I have three treadle feeders, 1 with pellets, 1 with cracked corn and the other with the rolled grains. I get the rolled grains from the farmer in exchange for the odd dozen eggs and the cracked corn and layers pellets from our local suppliers. I also give treats of dried black soldier fly grubs and dried mealworms. I make a mix for teatime of 6 slices of bread chopped into about 1/4 inch pieces with added yoghurt treacle and mealworms, mix it with water that has the addition of Battles poultry drink and Battles poultry spice, lge heaped teaspoon then add a 3 or 4 handfuls from the treadle feeders. That way they get the added vitamins, minerals and moisture. They have laid all year throughout the first molt. They are also free range from 6.30 in the morning until bedtime whenever that may be, due to the shortening lengthens of daylight. We have 8 Blackstar hens 6 what look like Rangers 1 Black laced Wyandotte hen and a Black Wyandotte Cockeral.

My chicken prefer mash, but they leave a lot of powder, so I feed pellets with a layer of mash on top.

Choosing which feed to buy for your birds can be a complex process with many variables, and today we would like to hear your opinion on one of these. Which feed texture/size do you prefer? Vote in the poll above, and reply below if you wish with the reasoning behind your choice.

View attachment 2288750

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Our Pandem-chicks get TSC brand crumbles. The eggs seem the same whether they’re getting organic or not, so we’ve been going with the cheap stuff lately. Crumbles do seem to make the girls sneeze a lot, so maybe will try pellets next time since I’d think they’re less dusty...

Back
Top Bottom