Official BYC Poll: Do You Clip Your Chickens' Wings?

Do You Clip Your Chickens' Wings?

• I never clip their wings

Votes: 278 58.0%
  • I clip one wing

Votes: 66 13.8%
  • I clip both wings

Votes: 23 4.8%
  • I used to, but don't anymore

Votes: 36 7.5%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 40 8.4%
  • Depends on the flock

Votes: 36 7.5%

• Total voters
Pics
Mostly no but sometimes I clip them if they start roosting in the trees rather than come in the coop for their evening meal and bedtime!

Mostly no but sometimes I clip them if they start roosting in the trees rather than come in the coop for their evening meal and bedtime!
Clipping makes them more vulnerable fore predators.
If you give the chickens some scratch inside in the evening before sunset/roosting time, the chickens are more willing to come in the coop. If the coop is small you might need some extra space (a small run ) to lock them up and be comfortable in the hour before they finally roost.

Clipping makes them more vulnerable fore predators.
If you give the chickens some scratch inside in the evening before sunset/roosting time, the chickens are more willing to come in the coop. If the coop is small you might need some extra space (a small run ) to lock them up and be comfortable in the hour before they finally roost.
As I said mostly NO! Only FEED at Night ! Mine free range from dawn till dusk. They have plenty of room in their coop. I only clip IF there is a problem. I will clip both wings and usually by the time they grow out I no longer have a problem. If necessary I will clip a second time. Very rarely has that happened. I also have LGD's that protect them.

Back
Top Bottom