Official BYC Poll: Do You Clip Your Chickens' Wings?

Do You Clip Your Chickens' Wings?

• I never clip their wings

Votes: 278 58.0%
  • I clip one wing

Votes: 66 13.8%
  • I clip both wings

Votes: 23 4.8%
  • I used to, but don't anymore

Votes: 36 7.5%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 40 8.4%
  • Depends on the flock

Votes: 36 7.5%

• Total voters
Pics
Our <1 yr chickens would fly into the trees at night, 10 feet of the ground. Which was fine by me until the trees lost their leaves, and an owl got two. When freezing weather came I would bring them in after they roosted. After a few nights of scrambling up and down a ladder, I started clipping wings. On my small and quick Hamburg variety, I had to clip both wings.
People say they need their "flight" feathers to escape a predator. I have never seen a chicken outfly any hawk or owl. And they are usually too panicked to head for a tree when the fox is after them. That's just my 20+ years of experience. Or maybe my chickens just don't fly as fast as yours.

Wing clipping is the most common method of controlling the flight of backyard chickens. For example, some may fly over your fence or out of their uncovered run, exposing them to all sorts of dangers. Clipping the wings just means cutting a little bit off the first few feathers on the wing, making it harder for them to fly. Some like to just clip one wing so that they fly sideways as this imbalances the bird, making it difficult for her/him to fly.

Do you clip your chickens' wings? Place your vote above & feel free to elaborate in the comments section.

View attachment 2508536

Further reading:
How To Clip Trim The Wings Of Your Chicken To Prevent Flight

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Trim the turkeys but not the layers. I would suggest leaving the first three longer feathers then trimming the next three the can not get height but they can roost and get down safely with out injuring themselves

Yes, if we don't they will get into the garden and eat every plant and seed. They are out of the coop all day in their yard and locked up safe at night. Aren't most predators night creatures?
I have had the worst trouble with coyote pups during the day. in the warm summer months they do hunt at night more often.Hawks can be a problem too.

I did it, one day when I was feeding them and saw one flying over my head landing on the roof of my porch, yeap I was speechless. I decided that I wasn’t going to risk it for my girls to land inside the neighbor’s yard with his dog waiting to eat them. Oh well, they’re doing great no issues they still fly a little but not as high. I’ve done it twice already and they look very happy, they eat well and lay eggs periodically. I wouldn’t know how they could use their wings if attacked by a predator since I see that they don’t defend themselves at all when my bulldog puppy grabs them (he’s been disciplined for that behavior) I love my hens so much and would be heartbroken if I loose one.

Chicken flight is one thing I would never take away from my girls. I just build the run fence higher. Helps to keep them more interested in what’s on their side of the fence, than the other side.
Also as someone mentioned and I agree. Having the ability to fly or run with wings flapping helps with self protection from predators.

When I clip wings I do both wings and only when I have a problem with them going in at night. Usually only have to do it twice and they get the message that I'm not playing games after dark trying to get them in. I only feed at night to encourage them to come in but occasionally I'll get some that like to watch me run around like an idiot with the net. Mine free range on 164 acres all day long and I have Livestock Guardian dogs on duty all the time so I don't have to worry about them getting attacked during the day. Never lost any by clipping both wings and once they grow back the problem chickens know to go in for the night. My oldest chickens are 5+ years old and haven't been clipped in years. I have babies coming in March so I'm guessing I'll be clipping wings by fall. LOL

I have had flocks for about ten years and usually have free-ranged my hens (without clipping their wings), but my latest dog thinks harassing the chickens is one of the world’s most exciting opportunities, so the chickens now stay in a pen for their safety. Despite the six-foot height of the fence, my lightweight EE mix was flying over it so I eventually decided to clip one of her wings so she would stay safely within the pen. She had some trouble trying to hop on things right at first but now she is perfectly fine to hop up and down off the roost, etc. And she’s staying safely out of the reach of the dog, too, so all is well.

Back
Top Bottom