Official BYC Poll: Do You Clip Your Chickens' Wings?

Do You Clip Your Chickens' Wings?

• I never clip their wings

Votes: 277 57.9%
  • I clip one wing

Votes: 66 13.8%
  • I clip both wings

Votes: 23 4.8%
  • I used to, but don't anymore

Votes: 36 7.5%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 40 8.4%
  • Depends on the flock

Votes: 36 7.5%

• Total voters
Pics
Wing clipping is the most common method of controlling the flight of backyard chickens. For example, some may fly over your fence or out of their uncovered run, exposing them to all sorts of dangers. Clipping the wings just means cutting a little bit off the first few feathers on the wing, making it harder for them to fly. Some like to just clip one wing so that they fly sideways as this imbalances the bird, making it difficult for her/him to fly.

Do you clip your chickens' wings? Place your vote above & feel free to elaborate in the comments section.

View attachment 2508536

Further reading:
How To Clip Trim The Wings Of Your Chicken To Prevent Flight

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I live in town. My house backs up to a highway. My girls generally stay in my fenced yard, but my Aryia is a flighty one. One day a police officer left a citation on my door. You see, she was trying to cross the highway in front if his car...I have to clip one of her wings now and sometimes she can even fly with it clipped!

For those that are putting sad face emojis on my post and saying that this is like de-clawing a cat, it really isn't at all. As long as you do it correctly the birds do not feel a thing. However they do look slightly appalled! I used to be very anti-wing clip until I saw one of my babies get mauled by the dog next door. Clipping one wing has no ill effect on my girls except to keep them alive. They can still roost, jump, flutter, etc. I am pro-wing clipping now in situations that it's needed. Really people it's not hurting them at all.
Are you saying people are comparing wing clipping to declawing a cat? Really? If this is true then, they are ignorant to how wings are clipped.
I'm ignorant about some things but clipping wings and declawing a cat are two totally different procedures for different purposes.

is it just me or do they look like they were part of the original line up of The Rolling Stones ?

They look like bad-boy-rock-stars to me View attachment 2512790

Well, they start out looking like Elvis...

20210204_073911.jpg

I have not clipped my chickens wings and with my current bunch I don't plan to. They free range in the back yard but have a routine of flying over a low gate that leads to the front, however, they only do this in the late afternoon. It's become a part of our routine. They enjoy the greener side of the yard while I pull the weeds. They are my little helpers working right next to me, my Tillers Three, as I like to call them.

Our chickens have their wings clipped if needed—especially the EEs. They like to fly out of the pen which isn’t always a good idea, especially if they are in there because the neighbour’s dog is loose.

The Muscovys we try to keep clipped. They can gain lift very quickly, especially when startled, which is not good when safety is in their pen and not outside of it. They also like to roost on the roof their house, which is great and dandy for them until they accidentally fall into the area where there are dogs. The dogs say ducks and chickens are yummy.

Back
Top Bottom