Official BYC Poll - Do you eat chicken?

Do you eat chicken?

• Yes, I eat my own, but only unwanted cockerels, spent hens, etc.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Yes, I raise my own meat birds.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Yes, but I can't eat birds I've raised myself, I buy chicken meat.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No, I don't eat my chickens and won't sell my birds to others for eating either, but I'll buy chicke

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • No I don't eat chicken meat at all and won't sell my unwanted birds to others for eating.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No, I don't eat chicken meat at all, but will sell my unwanted birds to others for eating.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Why will you pick meat birds? They are not very healthy, and they are babies when they die. Also, buying them as chicks supports factory farm companies that make them. If I HAD to eat chickens, I would eat gamier chickens that are healthy, that do not get to be 20+ pounds if not killed past baby age, or not starved. And they can raise their own chicks, protect themselves better from predators, do not crap nearly as much or as stinky, and they do not need to eat copious amounts of commercial grain - they can find their own food! Yeah, the carcass would not be obese and baby-tender, but it is more flavorful, more nutritious from the foraging the birds do, and kinder to the bird.
    I have had half a dozen Cornish x as pets over the years, and even entirely free range, fed very little fermented feed, some days not feeding them at all, and letting them have 'regular' chickens as an example, they are not at all like my game birds, or even the dual purpose breeds. You would be doing chickens a favor by eating a real, healthy breed if you decide to eat them. Obviously you do not have to listen to me, but I just wanted to give you the other side of the coin on eating chickens.
I really appreciate that perspective!

Quote:
Yes, I couldn't survive without cheese.
tongue.png

I eat chicken from the store
hide.gif
as I couldn't bear to slaughter my birds, which I have taken care of and loved with my own hands, but would gladly raise some meat birds..... as long as someone else chopped off their head. Not me, sorry! (maybe I'll get over it eventually!)

Back
Top Bottom