Official BYC Poll: Do You Grow Fodder For Your Chickens?

Do You Grow Fodder For Your Chickens?

• Yes I do, and they love it

Votes: 52 25.9%
  • I'd like to but don't know where to start

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • Never thought of it

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • I used to but no longer do (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • No I don't (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • What's fodder?

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • One day I'd like to

Votes: 37 18.4%

• Total voters
Pics
Fodder is the process of germinating seeds and feeding the resulting sprouts (and remaining seeds) to your chickens. They will also enjoy eating some fresh greenery especially during the cold months, when nothing fresh grows outside and foraging. What's great about growing fodder is you don't need any soil, any fertilizer or any chemicals.

So we would like to find out: Do Your Grow Fodder For Your Chickens?

Feel free to tell us your experiences in the comments section.

View attachment 2445037

Further Reading:

Its FODDER Season!
Creating Your Own Fodder System
$10 Inexpensive DIY Fodder Tower with Dollar Tree Dish Bins

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I have so many projects going. I was fermenting barley in a crock, but I kept forgetting about it. The crock was also too heavy for me to lift, so I had to rely on my husband - which made matters worse :)
That said, if someone sold a kit with everything included, I would be more likely to do it.

I grow corn, oats, rye, proso, wheat, barley, clovers, vetch, mustards and other seeds for my gardens cover crops/green manure and for me and my chickens to enjoy. I sprout for myself(occasionally for chickens a treat) and like the idea for livestock, where it would be especially useful to people without good range/cropland or in very small, or cold, or hot or dry or wet areas, where cropping feeds may be difficult or expensive. High protein sprouts may provide so many good nutrients. Sprouting is easy and no weeding/fertilizers necessary! Just be sure and feed as part of a balanced diet, with all the vitamins, fats, minerals and etc. a chicken needs to thrive, long term. Maybe, cicadas and sprouts are nearly a perfect chicken's dinner menu! I sure like mung bean sprouts stir fried with chicken! Happy chickens produce eggs and meat better!

Back
Top Bottom