Official BYC Poll: Do You Keep a Rooster?

Do You Keep a Rooster?

• Yes, just one

Votes: 132 24.8%
  • Yes, more than one

Votes: 250 47.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 61 11.5%
  • No, but I used to

Votes: 41 7.7%
  • What's a rooster?

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • No, but I intend to in the future

Votes: 44 8.3%

• Total voters
I personally love having roosters around. :) Right now, I have about a dozen of them, mainly bantams; they won't all be kept through the winter.
Pebbles2016.jpg

With 15 hens, I have kept 2 roos. Specifically for the breed, Bielefelder. That way if I want to incubate some more chicks next year, I can (hopefully).
That was what I wanted to do with my bantam Cochins since I ended up with a perfect quintet of 4 girls and 1 boy but HES SO DANG LOUD!! I’m not sure he’ll be around long enough 😂🤣 but then there’s also the fact that I don’t have any more room (nor desire) to hatch anything else right now so maybe it’s a good thing. 😂🤣 I would like a few more quail but they lay plenty lol

Has anyone ever considered insulating there coop with a sound absorbing material to diffuse the roosters crowing? I did and I barely hear them. Cause they were waking me a bit to early than I wanted to get up. Just wondering
I was considering doing this myself recently but I’m not sure how I’d do it without removing the ventilation? Cause I leave the eaves open on my coops ? And have windows? So not sure it would work? Current one I also have vents but new one I don’t.

I didn't cover my vents, window, and door those are always open. I attached the material top half of the wall and ceiling.

Edited: I used my old queen box spring's material, it had a carpet pad attached to it and I repurposed it to the coop.

Last edited:
I didn't cover my vents, window, and door those are always open. I attached the material top half of the wall and ceiling.

Edited: I used my old queen box spring's material, it had a carpet pad attached to it and I repurposed it to the coop.
Thank you!! That’s very interesting!!! So it works to reduce the sound or?

Back
Top Bottom