Official BYC Poll: How Do You Expand Your Egg Laying Flock?

How Do You Expand Your Egg Laying Flock?

• Through Incubation

Votes: 103 37.5%
  • Through natural breeding

Votes: 104 37.8%
  • By buying newly hatched chicks

Votes: 183 66.5%
  • By buying chicks > 6 weeks

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • By buying point of lay hens

Votes: 27 9.8%
  • By getting older hens (rescues)

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 9 3.3%

• Total voters
Pics
How do you get customers to sell your chicks to? Advertise online? at local feed stores? Any suggestions for me to get started in this?

I have gotten heritage breed BR, and plan on breeding (3 groups started so will have genetic diversity) Also am planning on breeding (creating?) my own variety of meat birds...but that will take a few years of mating/selection to get to a decent 12-15 week meat bird similar to a freedom ranger...I'm only on 1st gen. of offspring right now.
Yes, all of the above. We have a statewide agricultural paper called the MS Market Bulletin that comes out twice a month. I have bought and sold through that. There’s also a FB listing for local buy, sell and trade. The chain stores may not be as cooperative but a local mom & pop type feed store may have connections or a bulletin board for contacts. I found a buyer for my extra roosters just through having small talk with my feed guy on the way to my truck.

Might not be the perfect place to ask, but y'all have egg layers and someone might know the answer to my question.

To make green/olive layers, it is just any known blue layer with any known brown layer, right? The sex with the color doesn't matter? I might be getting blue layers next year (if eBay is so kind) and want to work on that as another way to move along pullets

Might not be the perfect place to ask, but y'all have egg layers and someone might know the answer to my question.

To make green/olive layers, it is just any known blue layer with any known brown layer, right? The sex with the color doesn't matter? I might be getting blue layers next year (if eBay is so kind) and want to work on that as another way to move along pullets

Yes, though there are some genetic complications in whether the blue layer has one blue gene or two blue genes and how dark the brown contribution is.

Back
Top Bottom