Official BYC Poll: How Do You Get Rid of Dirty Coop Bedding?

How Do You Get Rid of Dirty Coop Bedding? Do you...

• Compost it

Votes: 226 69.5%
  • Throw it away with the garbage

Votes: 40 12.3%
  • Give it away to others

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Dump it in the woods

Votes: 37 11.4%
  • Use it in the garden as fertilizer

Votes: 117 36.0%
  • Burn it

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 24 7.4%
  • Scatter it in the run

Votes: 57 17.5%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
It is essential to keep your chicken coop clean if you raise chickens. This includes changing the bedding (regardless of the method you use).

This week, we want to find out: How Do You Get Rid of Dirty Coop Bedding?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

official byc poll.gif

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Dirty coop bedding here is sometimes composted; given to friends and neighbours as and when requested; added directly to the garden as fertilizer as needed; and added to the garden waste which the local council collect and compost, if there is still surplus after the first three options (as there sometimes is, especially in winter).

I'm using shredded paper for bedding currently. It goes on a bedding pile. I can't in any honesty call it a compost pile yet. Paper on it's own takes a long time to degrade. One day I will add vegetable matter and get in there with a fork and turn it over.
Before I got involved with these chickens the bedding was just scraped out of the coop onto the run floor. This has proven to be a complete disaster. It has made layers rather than fully compost into the ground below and rats have made tunnels below these layers, not to mention the mud/muck problem when it rains.

Back
Top Bottom